PDA

View Full Version : I could use some help from someone who knows what they're on about

Rolen
03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm 17, still in school, and I play poker. I have gone through some pretty troubling times stemming from gambling, underage, of course. I've stolen money from parents' credit cards to put on sports of which I have no clue about, lost 000's in the course of a few hours trying to chase losses etc, troubling stuff. I suppose I have experienced symptoms of what many call compulsive gambling.

The solution? Never gamble again of course! Except it's not that simple for me..I'm good at playing low limit poker, I can multitable $20 SNGs with a lot of success, and have been able to leave sports betting and -EV games behind me, and do not feel that I will ever go back to them. However, is this simply a temporary state of affairs? Can a 'compulsive gambler' ever truly leave it behind him if he is connected to the gambling world in some way?

After a successful week I found myself at the $1000 short handed PL tables (about 10x too much for my bankroll and 100x too much for my skill level) on Saturday, simply because I had experienced some *inevitable* bad luck. (I actually netted about $700 in 15 mins, but that's not the point). Obviously I cannot keep doing this (i'll lose my roll for one thing), but I have found a lot of satisfaction in poker. I tell myself that if I wasn't playing poker i'd be playing roulette or something, but that could be just my excuse for staying in action. Is it possible that i'll develop the maturity to cope with variance, and keep poker as a semi-constructive outlet for my urge to gamble?

Do I give up a hobby I enjoy immeasurably, or is there hope for me yet?

Thanks for your time! Max

applej25
03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I would say seek help. My mother is a compulsive gambler and there was nothing she would put above gambling. I would contact a hotline and get help as soon as possible if I was you. It sounds like it is not the success that drives you, but the GAMBLE. It takes a strong person to admit they have a problem, and a stronger person to do something about it (something my mother has yet to do to this day).

The first step is to admit your problem, which you are doing (sort of). The next step is getting help. But YOU have to want to.

WILLPOWER.

wontons
03-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Well I can honestly say I can help you with this problem. When I asked my friend about this...he said gambling is a -EV all the time except poker(skill level - variance). So yeah I don't gamble on sports anymore. However, in your situation the bottom line is keep trying to improve your game either by watching, reading books. PLAY LIMITS your comfortable with. DO NOT MOVE UP, DO NOT MOVE UP. Even if you can beat the higher limit games...YOUR BANKROLL will not be able to handle the swings. Its like the proverb..when a drunk is asked when he will stop drinking...he replied, "When I'm dead." You can play poker and do well with it ...and enjoy it immensely but beware of those downswings...have the will power to leave when the game turns bad...and dont gamble on stupid sh%t like roulette. Hope that helped.

wontons
03-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Upon learning your age I actually recommed you don't play for the next 4-5 years...your definitely gonna miss out on your teenage years...this is the time to party with friends..get high and drink, meet sluts and don't call them back unless they were great in bed. Stuff like that. When I was recently at the poker table in A.C the poker room manager muddled under his breath at 3am...dont you guys have any lives...or something to the sort..honest...maybe he just wasn't fulfilled in his job thats my opinion. But yeah poker is addicting definitely if you have to play try limiting it to mon, tues, wed. You have all the time in the world to play poker...don't miss these years.

TStoneMBD
03-23-2005, 07:55 PM
even if youre a winning poker player, you have a gambling problem and you will likely have downfalls in the future caused by this. if you have to ask this forum whether or not they think you can overcome your gambling issues, then that is a clear indication to me that you do not have the correct psychological makeup in order to become a winning gambler.

there are many great poker players who are broke because they dont manage their money appropriately. they may be able to understand poker, but they dont understand EV or variance, and if they do, then they certainly dont abide by it.

if you want to continue playing poker, then you need to tell yourself that you are going to control your compulsive instincts. you are never going to bet on anything that you are not the favorite to win. you will never bet money that you cannot afford to lose. if you go broke from poker, you will not rack up credit card debts. you will get a job, and quit poker forever. there is no reason for a player to go broke in this day an age, with the ability to make a great living play small limits 4tabling online. if you go broke from poker, that is an indication that you are playing too high for yourself. variance cannot be avoided no matter how good a player you are.

gambling should never be a strain on your life. gambling should be what you strive on.

PairTheBoard
03-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Rolen: "I could use some help from someone who knows what they're on about"

Go to a GA Meeting. The people there really know what they're on about.

PairTheBoard

lehighguy
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I only had to read the first paragraph to tell you shouldn't be playing poker, or gambing at all.

Good poker players don't make -EV moves like that. They have self control. I can tell from the first paragraph your gonna blow a few Gs at some 15/30 table at some point. Save yourself the trouble.

deacsoft
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only had to read the first paragraph to tell you shouldn't be playing poker, or gambing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

SNOWBALL138
03-24-2005, 01:32 AM
A family member of mine is a compulsive gambler. That person has lost probably much more than one million dollars. He's very successful in his work and runs his own business. He's good at math, went to very good schools, loves to read, and makes very good money. He's also a very strong person in most of his endeavours. Now, that said, gambling has caused immeasurable harm to him. If a gambling addiction could hurt a person like him, who knows what it could do to an underaged kid who

1. Probably can't afford to lose

2. Might ruin his future by becoming distracted from school, relationships, work opportunities, etc.

Seriously dude. Go to a gamblers anonymous meeting. At the very least read the Psychology of poker by Al Schoonmaker.
You should also at the very least quit poker for a good amount of time. This will:

1. Allow you to see whether or not you are addicted.

2. Allow you to find other things you enjoy

3. Allow you to spend some time analyzing your game, and your gambling habits.

I hope you get the help you need. It would be very sad if ended up totally broke and in debt before you are even of voting age.

KidPokerX
03-24-2005, 03:35 AM
My advice is a little different.
I don't suggest you run away from the game and go find "other hobbies". You are passionate about poker and have many years to improve your skill level and discipline. Poker is not the devil, it will not lead to problems, and it is not a waste (unless, of course, you take it too far).
Moderation in poker, along with everything else in life, is the key. Do not overstress yourself. You are only 17 and have an entire college life ahead.
Poker is an awesome game because it builds skills that are unmeasurable in value. It is an awesome skill to have - not only as a financial support, but more importantly to build you ... as a person.
First and most importantly, I suggest that you stay within your limit. Don't take shots for a quick grand, you will find a pattern with this behavior only after it's too late.
You are young, enjoy your money, but earn it ... I mean really grind it out. Make yourself proud of what you've done right, not what you been taking as an underdog.
Lastly, my best advice for you. You may already do this, and if so great, but if not remember this if nothing else: Shut your mouth, and listen. You have a lot to learn about poker and about life. We have two ears, but only one mouth for a reason.
Best of luck to you, my friend. Don't give up no matter how hard you've been kicked.
Stay strong and you'll be fine.

-KidPokerX

BigSkiRace
03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I am going to be 21 pretty soon but when I first started gambling, I was betting sports at 17 and was having some short term sucess with it, along with poker, and playing blackjack. I got really lucky with no skill and made alot of money around the sum of 20k really fast only to jump in the biggest pokergame I could find and lose almost all of it. This taught me alot though, I think that if you have done this before you live and learn, I know I did. I've hopped in some really big games before only to lose my shirt, alot of it was profit and I wasnt racking up debt, but not every poker player is born with control I know I wasnt and I am still learning it. Try to stay away from running your self into debt and just build a bankroll take a shot and miss, theres alot you get out of doing that, I've done it a couple times in my career.

MRVEGAS
04-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Have you tried drinking or drugs? Maybe if you made some "new" friends and started drinking some beer smoking a little weed it would get your mind off all this gambling!!!

Also when i was 17 all i could think about was Girls, Im 35 now and not much has changed but thats my two cents!

Hope this helps, Your Friend,

MRV