PDA

View Full Version : Right Line on TPDK - Flop raise or not?

weevil
03-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Villian is 15/8/12/60, definately prone to semibluffing.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

With Villian's flop bet I put him either on an OESD, flush draw, or a weaker king. He would probably check/raise or check/call with two pair or a set. So I think I'm ahead of all of his likely holdings. After his flop bet, it's 8.5SB to me, and if I raise he'll be getting 10.5:1 on a flop call, which is about a 4:1 shot if he has a flush draw, and over 5:1 with a straight draw. So raising isn't going to make his call incorrect. If I wait until the turn to make sure a scare card doesn't come off, and raise his bet, he'll be getting 7.25:1 on a 4:1 with the flush, and again about 5:1 on the straight draw. With the flop raise, he'll be getting 6.5:1 on the turn if he checks to my bet. So it seems like the best way to limit his odds is to raise the flop. But I'm wondering if I get added value by waiting until the turn to check/call a scarecard, bet/raise anything else? I get the further benefit of this play of getting more money with 2BBs on the turn instead of 2bb on the flop. I'm leaning towards the turn raise myself. What do you guys think?

SeaEagle
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Raise the flop. You must make him pay to draw or chase with a K. There's no way to protect your hand since his implied odds compel him to draw all the way to the river, even if you wait till the turn to raise - and if he's on a draw, it's highly unlikely he'll bet the turn unless he hits so in most cases you're just giving away a small bet for nothing.

Also, by your definition, any 5,6,7,T,J,Q, or /images/graemlins/spade.gif is a scare card and you'll slow down on the turn. Unless he bets the turn, you have to be willing to bet out when most of these cards hit, since only one of them will make his hand and the rest will win a bet for you.