PDA

View Full Version : Fabric of the Cosmos by Briane Greene

theBruiser500
03-23-2005, 05:47 PM
This book Fabric of the Cosmos by Briane Greene, same author of Elegant Universe. He's a very good author, very smart guy obviously. Have any of you read the book, what do you think? This stuff is conceptually difficult to understand for me, you guys have trouble understanding it too? If you are interested in physics, popular science writing (this isn't dumbed down or a retarded book like "science for dummies"), I highly recommend both of his books.

jgorham
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I really liked the elegant universe, but didn't realize he had a new book out. Thanks for the heads up Bruiser.

jason_t
03-23-2005, 08:36 PM
The Elegant Universe is one of those incredible books where only one of its kind comes along every five years or so. I haven't read Greene's new book yet; thanks for reminding me of its existence.

Three other books that I found as amazing as this book:

Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene
Douglas Hofstadter - Godel, Escher, Bach
Niall Ferguson - Empire

If you like popular science writing, the books in the Great Discoveries series published by W. W. Norton Co. are pretty enthralling.

KaiShin
03-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm still reading Jared Diamond's new book Collapse, but I'll get to Greene's new one soon /images/graemlins/smile.gif

morgan180
03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
this one is definitely on my list to read - has anyone read Malcolm Gladwell's new book "Blink" ??? "The Tipping Point" is excellent, so I am excited to read his new one.

theBruiser500
03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
okay ignore this thread everyone the new one will be better