PDA

View Full Version : 109 Lev 5 hand

Apathy
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
What I mostly want to know here is who thinks calling and playing a flop is a good idea? Who likes pushing? Who likes folding? There were some very good players at this table (the min raiser not one of them) and play had been quite tight but people were starting to get desperate.

***** Hand History for Game 1780760145 *****
NL Hold'em $100 Buy-in + $9 Entry Fee Trny:10642568 Level:5 Blinds(100/200) - Wednesday, March 23, 15:10:27 EDT 2005
Table Table 11043 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 3: RACECARRS ( $1995 )
Seat 4: labbetuss ( $1455 )
Seat 5: el_mozote ( $1150 )
Seat 7: Rlxtn_Thrpst ( $1020 )
Seat 8: FlopMyNuts33 ( $1055 )
Seat 9: blaydzfsteel ( $1590 )
Seat 10: mhn719 ( $1735 )
Trny:10642568 Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to blaydzfsteel [ Tc Ah ]
mhn719 raises [400].
RACECARRS folds.
labbetuss folds.
el_mozote folds.
Rlxtn_Thrpst folds.
FlopMyNuts33 folds.
blaydzfsteel ???

Irieguy
03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
There used to be this little convenience store by the house where I grew up as a child. What was it called again?

It wasn't a 7-11, Circle K wasn't around yet... it was also before AM/PM... hmmm.

Oh, yeah. Stop 'n Go.

Irieguy

Apathy
03-23-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There used to be this little convenience store by the house where I grew up as a child. What was it called again?

It wasn't a 7-11, Circle K wasn't around yet... it was also before AM/PM... hmmm.

Oh, yeah. Stop 'n Go.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been waiting to get to post that?

Irieguy
03-23-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah. Stop 'n Go.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been waiting to get to post that?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just thought of it while I was typing, actually. But it's nice to know that all of my posts seem contrived.

Irieguy

parttimepro
03-23-2005, 05:25 PM
A Stop n Go is only the best move if he's got a bigger ace than you and gets no piece of the flop. Big pocket pair will call, middle pocket pair might call depending on the board, worse overcards will fold, but they're drawing slim anyway.

I prefer the Kum n' Go, anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think this is a pretty tough spot. The min raise is either a marginal hand or a monster. Have you seen villain min raise before? If so, I would lean towards marginal and push. Coming from UTG, though, makes it more likely to be a real hand. If this were a raise from SB, then it's a definite push, but I would tend to give more respect to an UTG raise.

You're getting 3.5 to 1 to call. The problem is you don't know how which outs are good. If you're really afraid of a monster, paired Ts could be behind JJ-AA, and paired A's could be behind AJ-AK. You're also out of position, and if you check, he'll probably push on most flops.

Without any reads, I'm leaning towards folding. You're not short-stacked, and there will be a lot of desperation in the next 10 hands that you may be able to profit from. The risk/reward payoff isn't good, either. You're risking your tournament to win 600 chips when it's still 7-handed.

whynot?
03-23-2005, 05:35 PM
so i read this as either a top 10% hand thats trying to be disguised or a mediocre hand willing to play and on an off chance get a steal. To me, the best chance of winning the pot is to call the raise and plan on being super aggressive on the flop regardless if you hit or not. in that case your real risk is he has a,k, or qs

Seadood228
03-24-2005, 01:14 AM
stopngo seems like a nice play in this spot, but I'd probably sheepishly fold.

curtains
03-24-2005, 02:06 AM
Again I don't understand how this is a stop+go situation. If we reraise we are raising 1100 more chips, plenty to make the original raiser fold some hands.

I'm not by any means saying this is the play I'd make, but this simply isn't a standard stop+go situation.

Irieguy
03-24-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Again I don't understand how this is a stop+go situation. If we reraise we are raising 1100 more chips, plenty to make the original raiser fold some hands.

I'm not by any means saying this is the play I'd make, but this simply isn't a standard stop+go situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two distinctly different situations in which a stop-n-go rates to be +EV:

1. When your chip count does not leave you enough folding equity to cause a player, good or otherwise, to fold if you come over the top of him preflop. All good players know how to do this.

2. When your opponent is not particularly good, so all you know is that he is more likely to call a big bet preflop than postflop.

You'd have to be there to know whether or not this would be a good idea. But at a table filled with several good players and one not-so-good player... when the not so good player puts chips into a pot I will start entertaining some different ideas about how to get them.

Irieguy