PDA

View Full Version : Why do donks at 10/20 keep 3-betting me on the river without the nuts?

Grisgra
03-23-2005, 03:49 PM
It happened again. Someone 3-bet me on the river on an AKJT board, and I held QQ, and I didn't cap because

1) I'm a huge [censored] moron
2) I figured there's absolutely positively no way that this guy could 3-bet me here without one of the other two queens.

This happens again and again and again. And it NEVER happened at 5/10. Why, oh why do people keep 3-betting the river without the nuts? Or, at least, near-nuts? Are they on drugs? Luckily, I smartened up later that session and when someone raised the river with two-pair I put the 3-bet in, and they paid it off. Same situation, a four-straight on the board . . . unfreakin' believable.

My 10/20 game is getting better -- after some start-up shakes, I'm running around 2BB/100 -- but I've missed at least three or four big bets here and there on the river because I forget that the retardation at 10/20 is an entirely different kind of retardation than that at 5/10 . . .

I try to comfort myself by saying that even if I missed the cap, there's no way they CALL the cap on a four-straight board, even with a set, but I know that's not the case. They'll call. Of course they'll call.

EvanJC
03-23-2005, 03:53 PM
i don't understand...do you have the nuts in the first hand you're refering to, or are there suited cards/board pairs?

Grisgra
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand...do you have the nuts in the first hand you're refering to, or are there suited cards/board pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, in the first hand the board was something like AKJT5, no flush possibilities. I had the complete nuts. I just didn't cap because I was lazy. (Hence the complete [censored] moron part.)

jrobb83
03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I've run into a bunch of these guys too. There was one guy I would play against that would raise on the turn and river at any opportunity with two pair or better, regardless of the board or opponents action. His play was fairly normal (not insane but still bad) preflop and on the flop, so his postflop play was really bizzare. It threw me the first two times I had strong hands against him.

I had a guy the other day 3-bet the turn with A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on a Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif board after preflop had beed three-bet and the flop had been capped (3 and 4 ways). And he called a cap and put in two more bets on a A/images/graemlins/heart.gif river.

Alobar
03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) I'm a huge [censored] moron
2) I figured there's absolutely positively no way that this guy could 3-bet me here without one of the other two queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let this be a lesson to you!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I hold the nuts and there is no overcall considerations, I wouldnt even take my hands off the raise button if he flipped over his cards and SHOWED me it was gunna be a chop pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides, I like to listen to players gumble about how I up the rake (even tho the $3 was already taken out on like the first turn bet) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bobbyi
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I hold the nuts and there is no overcall considerations, I wouldnt even take my hands off the raise button if he flipped over his cards and SHOWED me it was gunna be a chop pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Even then, you have opponent-misclicks-and-hits-the-fold-button equity.

Alobar
03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
brilliant!!! I never considered that. Altho its prolly more likely I accidently misclick /images/graemlins/wink.gif

turnipmonster
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
uhhh, this happens at 5/10 and in fact I missed a bet the other day because of this, on a JQKT board.

arkady
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
every time you hold the nuts in a decent size pot, always cap or raise. Because at this point rake is no longer an issue - so why not? I have had this happen quite a few times and have since capped w/A2o on KQxJT board only to see someone show me a 98s. go figure.

tolbiny
03-23-2005, 10:59 PM
"I just didn't cap because I was lazy"

how is clicking raise any harder than clicking call? your mouse should have already been over the raise button anyway.

Grisgra
03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Clearly, you missed the "I'm a [censored] moron" part of my post . . .

krishanleong
03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because at this point rake is no longer an issue

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important to consider. I moved up from 2/4 and at 2/4 there are times where you are just feeding the rake. Not so at 5/10 or higher.

Krishan

tolbiny
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
i simply object to the "i am lazy" part. While you may be lazy, it should not have been a contributing factor. Your "I'm a [censored] moron" part should have taken 100% of the blame...

captZEEbo1
03-23-2005, 11:44 PM
I was playing live $4/8 at bellagio a few days ago....
CO open limps
I raise button with A8s, bb calls.

flop comes KTx I bet BB folds, CO calls.
turn Q, check check.
river J, CO bets, I raise, CO 3-bets, I 4-bet, CO calls, I win entire pot. I thought about just calling CO's 3-bet thinking I might be getting hurt on rake if I keep reraising, but I went with my gut instinct by never stop raising the nuts and got an extra bet out of him /images/graemlins/smile.gif