PDA

View Full Version : Any preflop strategy to this?

jinxy
03-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Is there any really preflop starting hand guide for shorthanded play in nl cash games?

Can i just get by playing any ace, any suited face cards, and any two cards over 8; regardless of position? Oh yeah, and any pocket pairs

EvanJC
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
absolutely, yes.

jinxy
03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Is this sarcastic advice or are you serious?

Bizot
03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
that question is so vague......

jinxy
03-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Is there a guide or chart to "Calling raises preflop"?

sweetjazz
03-25-2005, 06:16 PM
The fact that you expect there to be a preflop starting hand guide for playing shorthanded NL games is not a good sign...

There are lots of variables to consider other than your own two cards when playing SH NL. Against weak-tight players, you can steal pots with any two cards in the right spots. Against loose-aggressive players, you can play some hands that would cause trouble against tighter players. For example, AJ is a dangerous hand, because you might hit top pair but be way behind an ace with a better kicker or an overpair. But if a loose player will overplay any ace when it pairs with the board, then AJ will often be in a dominating position.

Another very important variable is stack size in relation to the blinds. PPs are great because you can sometimes take someone's entire stack when you hit your set. If you paying 1-5 BBs to see the flop and you and your opposition have over 100 BBs in your stacks, you're getting great implied odds. If the average stack is 25 BB and you have to call 5 BB to see the flop, then you're not getting the implied odds to hit a set.

Anyway, if you choose to play any ace and any two cards 8 or better in a shorthanded NL game, you had better be real good postflop or prepared to be eaten alive.

The short answer to your question is that there will be (rare) times when raising with 72o preflop is correct. And there may be times when you should fold AQo preflop. The guide to which starting hands to play is....observe your opponents playing tendancies and the various stack sizes and assess each hand on that basis.

If you're just starting out, you should probably play VERY tight. You won't become a winning player that way (unless you're against horrible opposition), but you'll avoid making huge mistakes as well. While you're playing tight, observe the action in front of you and think about what's going on. You'll begin to figure out which hands you can play profitably, and slowly you can start to play more hands.

jinxy
03-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Theres already a guide for it up here, and its very good by the way...

BUT, there isn't a guide about *Facing raises preflop with teh same hands in the guide... I guess its all about feel...

Anyways, im very good postflop in my plays.. PReflop is where most of my leaks are comming from... I just play way to damn many hands like J(x)s, Q(x)s type hands , ... and queen(x) offsuit hands.. Just crap hands...

Jeff W
03-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Fimbulwinter waxes poetic. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=69387&F_Board=ssplnlpoker &Thread=1618086&partnumber=1&postmarker=)

Small Stakes NL&PL Forum. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=ssplnlpoker)

jinxy
03-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Cool, thx for the link!