PDA

View Full Version : tt utg preflop and flop decisions/errors

SCfuji
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
observed hand of a buddy of mine. sb is playing his 2nd hand at the table and is unknown.

party 100NL 6 max .5/1 blinds

hero is utg with red tens

hero min raises to 2, 1 fold, 1 caller, 1 fold, sb raises to 10 total, bb folds, hero calls, other caller folds.

hu to the flop of 297 with two spades.

sb pushes his remaining 75 and hero has him covered.

hero??

please explain your thoughts on preflop and flop actions.

thanks

EverettKings
03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd raise more preflop so you know where you're at. $4 or so, and if he comes over the top of that it's easier to get away from at some point.

Given how you saw the flop I muck, because he either has a pair higher than yours or two overs with a big spade. In the former case you're done for, in the latter you're about even money.

-Kings

SCfuji
03-23-2005, 03:13 PM
buddy doesnt like to raise a lot with TT utg. says he is afraid if he gets calls in two spots or more he is screwed and thinks its a waste of $5.

MikeL
03-23-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hero is utg with red tens

hero min raises to 2, 1 fold, 1 caller, 1 fold, sb raises to 10 total

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! (warning bells activated!) SB re-raises our hero 5x his bet. SB will be out of position for the rest of the hand. Without any additional read on SB, I would have to fold here.

After the flop, SB shows "big pair" betting (again), save your money (one more chance), F-O-L-D.

Regards,
Mike L.

SCfuji
03-23-2005, 03:20 PM
is hero giving up any value by not raising more preflop?

sourbeaver
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hero min raises to 2, 1 fold, 1 caller, 1 fold, sb raises to 10 total, bb folds, hero calls, other caller folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should raise a meaningful amount or not raise at all.
I would not raise. Calling the additional 8 is okay as long as implied odds warrant it (stack sizes). Such a reraise normally means business.

[ QUOTE ]

hu to the flop of 297 with two spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

It now depends on read and villain's action.

[ QUOTE ]

sb pushes his remaining 75 and hero has him covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is dead.

Unless hero has a read on SB such as "Monty Python-grade fish" or "complete donkey", hero is most certainly beat by an overpair to his TT. There's a chance that villain bluffs or semi-bluffs the flush draw, but it's slim.

sourbeaver
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
buddy doesnt like to raise a lot with TT utg. says he is afraid if he gets calls in two spots or more he is screwed and thinks its a waste of $5.

[/ QUOTE ]

The by all means he should limp.

sourbeaver
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is hero giving up any value by not raising more preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe so. Plus he's OOP most of the time when he raises and gets called.

zaxx19
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
You should raise a meaningful amount or not raise at all.

Someone email this to all the sorry 50$ tablers @ UB plz....

With hands like AK AQ KQ 1010 JJ POSITION IS MUCH MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN CARDS TO BE HONEST. This is bc the MAJORITY of the time the flop will NOT look THAT GOOD to you...

kurto
03-23-2005, 04:52 PM
"Someone email this to all the sorry 50$ tablers @ UB plz.... " Don't you dare.

I love preflop minraisers. You're telling me you like your hand but not enough to drive me out. They're let in relatively cheaper and they might be more unwilling to let their hand go.

In my experience... the min raise at low limit NL means small to medium pp. You can tell if they hit, and if not, you can steal. Don't ever discourage the minraisers!

zaxx19
03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Dont forget KQ/AQo...who is scared of whiffing but has gone broke by letting the blinds see a flop against those hands before, see that a bit also

soah
03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Raise a normal amount preflop. Normally if one of the blinds reraises you're pretty screwed. Barring a read, calling down here will lose you lots of money in the long run I think.

SCfuji
03-23-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calling down here

[/ QUOTE ]

here is the flop or preflop?

thanks

soah
03-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Preflop you call if you have the correct odds to play for set value and then let it go on the flop if you miss. Although a weak minraise could often encourage hands like AK to put in a big reraise preflop... but if you make a real raise preflop and still get reraised from one of the blinds, you can expect to be up against AA/KK most of the time with typical opponents I think.