PDA

View Full Version : I'll take a McRiver Bet to Go!

CallMeIshmael
03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Its been a little while since I played this hand, so I can't remember what my read on the player was. But, I don't think I play this hand the way I do if he a complete fish.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

thoughts?

EDIT: I don't think I play it like this if I don't consider him somewhat of a push-over as well.

CallMeIshmael
03-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Bump.

meanjean
03-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Is this one of those situations where you can only be called by a better hand but if you check your opponent may bluff a worse hand? I don't know what that worse hand would be.

runa
03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I do this occasionally, but I like it much more if you were in position. I think a calling station with any pair will see the river here enough times to make it unprofitable for you OOP, but I could be convinced otherwise. Also I would like it much more with A high than K high.

CallMeIshmael
03-23-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do this occasionally, but I like it much more if you were in position. I think a calling station with any pair will see the river here enough times to make it unprofitable for you OOP, but I could be convinced otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does position matter? A calling station calls with any pair in any position, no?

[ QUOTE ]

Also I would like it much more with A high than K high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

runa
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Perhaps I should rephrase that. We don't know anything about him, but if you are in position and he checks to you, there's a greater than average chance he's drawing rather than having a made hand of some sort. If he had a pair on the flop he might be likely to bet it out, but since you already lead following a raise PF UTG showing lots of strength he may put you on an overpair or better T, or is just really timid otherwise and will just call you down all the way with Tx, or something like that. If you had some decent reads on him like fit or fold on the flop HU, likes his sooted cards or the like, then perhaps you can bet him down for value with a likly flush draw or something like 78, who knows. I guess what it comes down to is the player reads seem to make it very correct to fire 3-barrels against certain fish or very incorrect against others. I myself would like to hear more on it since I'm working on that part of my game itself.

I'm also more likely to bet it down with A high because lots of fish fall in love with Ax.

Edit: 45 was a bad example since the 4 fell, so I changed it to 78 since there are lots of gutshot chasers.

CallMeIshmael
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also more likely to bet it down with A high because lots of fish fall in love with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is any sort of value in value betting a hand like AK high then my bet on the river is really, really, really bad.

Also, my reads (from OP) were:
[ QUOTE ]

But, I don't think I play this hand the way I do if he a complete fish.
I don't think I play it like this if I don't consider him somewhat of a push-over as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

CallMeIshmael
03-23-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this one of those situations where you can only be called by a better hand

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt about it: if I get called, I lose. He calls with a worse hand exactly as often as he accidentally clicks the call button.

[ QUOTE ]

but if you check your opponent may bluff a worse hand? I don't know what that worse hand would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he bluff bets the river with enough of a frequency to be +EV. If I check, it is with the intention of not putting another chip into the pot.

applej25
03-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I really don't like it without a good read. There is nothing in the pot and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I MAY fire on the turn against the right opponent, but I really don't like betting the river once they call the turn.
Most of the time I just check-fold the turn.