PDA

View Full Version : Bridge players?

nmadd
03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
We have some friends that play and I want to learn. I'm a how-to book freak and am looking for some suggestions.

Any suggestions for a newbie bridge player, but an experienced partnership-trick-taking card player (e.g. spades, euchre)? Bridge for Dummies or Idiot's Guides any good? Others?

Thanks!

Also, where would you suggest I play online after I learn a bit?

Toro
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I play here:

http://zone.msn.com/en/root/default.htm

When I get home I'll suggest a book.

Skjonne
03-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Bridge Base Online (http://online.bridgebase.com/) is by far the largest and best site for online play.

As This URL (http://www.greatbridgelinks.com/) suggests, it has links to just about any site worth reading (and a lot not worth reading).

As for beginner's books, there's a bazillion. The bridge litterature outnumber the poker ditto by a gazillion. Find something on amazone with "beginner" in the title. Well established writers in that area are Eddie Kantar, Mike Lawrence and Hugh Kelsey to mention a few. When you have found some interessting books feel free to ask for an opinion before buying

nate1729
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I've enjoyed Bridge Base (bridgebase.com). I'm bignumber3 if you ever see me on there. Others will give better book advice than I can.

nmadd
03-23-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for beginner's books, there's a bazillion. The bridge litterature outnumber the poker ditto by a gazillion. Find something on amazone with "beginner" in the title. Well established writers in that area are Eddie Kantar, Mike Lawrence and Hugh Kelsey to mention a few. When you have found some interessting books feel free to ask for an opinion before buying

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, there are a lot of bridge books!

Eddie Kantar wrote "Bridge for Dummies." It has good reviews and I have some Dummies books.
However, one review says that is uses "a weird ... non-standard point system" that it seems many don't use. Would this hurt me? Any comments on this one?

partygirluk
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Play online at bridgebase.com

Go to the same website and download "Learn to Play bridge" 1 and 2, they are free and good tools for a beginner.

Skjonne
03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, there are a lot of bridge books!

Eddie Kantar wrote "Bridge for Dummies." It has good reviews and I have some Dummies books.
However, one review says that is uses "a weird ... non-standard point system" that it seems many don't use. Would this hurt me? Any comments on this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that particular book but Eddie Kantar is surely one of the worlds best writers, for advanced players as for beginners. I don't know which review you've read, but I simply don't believe that the book uses a weird point system. All over the world (USA, Denmark, Kenya, Chile, The South Pole....) beginners are taught (sp?) (variants of) the same system.

Phat Mack
03-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I used to recommend Five Weeks to Winning Bridge by Alfred Sheinwold, but I haven't kept current with what's available for beginners. I still see it for a couple of bucks at used book stores. I doubt anything in it is still considered controversial. It's very well written and easy to understand.

The Armchair
03-23-2005, 11:21 PM
If you are in NYC (going by the Mets logo), stop by the Honors Bridge Club on 57th b/w Park and Lex. (The building w/the NY Health and Racket club in it; north side of 57th almost smack in the middle of the block.) They have a big library there and can help you out.