PDA

View Full Version : The gay subtext in "Top Gun," by Quentin Tarantino

Dominic
03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
from the movie, "Sleep With Me:"

What's a film about, what's it really about? What genre does it take?

[Duane: What, like the spine? Like one sentence?]

No, I don't, [censored] boy meets girl, I don't give a [censored] about that. [censored] boy meets girl, [censored] motorcycle movie. No, what is really being said? What's really being said, that's what you're talking about. 'Cause the whole idea, man, is subversion. You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest [censored] scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.

[Duane: Oh, come on.]

Top Gun is [censored] great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots. [Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.] It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man.

You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the [censored] line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.

[Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?]

Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie...

He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the [censored], what the [censored] is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'm do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it.

Okay, now let me just ask you--I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right?...

All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting [censored] force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they [censored] land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last [censored] line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! [censored]' A, man!

jakethebake
03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
if i read this the first time it was posted today do i need to read it again?

slickpoppa
03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
All of these theories about top gun being gay are as ridiculous as sponge bob being gay. God forbid guys play volleyball against each other or hug each other after almost being killed.

jakethebake
03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of these theories about top gun being gay are as ridiculous as sponge bob being gay. God forbid guys play volleyball against each other or hug each other after almost being killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

...or "accidentally" bump up against each other in the shower, or pinch and pull each other's nipples, or....

slickpoppa
03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...or "accidentally" bump up against each other in the shower, or pinch and pull each other's nipples, or....

[/ QUOTE ]

or fvck kelly mcgillis, or be married to meg ryan. yeah, what a bunch of fags

jakethebake
03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
...or taking your also-male "roommate" to the street party celebrating Liberace's life.

Dominic
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
1. Top Gun is only a movie. Relax.
2. Quentin Tarantino is freakin' hilarious.

Dominic
03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i read this the first time it was posted today do i need to read it again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you had responded to the original post, I wouldn't have had to repost it, now would I?

Let this be a warning to you all.

Ice Man
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually the whole movie is pretty fruity. When I was told a biography was being made about me, I thought it would be pretty cool. But, the final product was totally unexpected. Its like how they edit those other reality shows like Survivor and Real World. A lot of stuff happens behind the scenes that you don't know about.

Anyhow, the director had a hidden agenda. He kept dropping weird hints and suggestions, like he kept going on about which one of the pilots would win a "no-holds barred, nude-oil wresting match."

Tom kept saying he would win win with both hands tied behind his back, so ... Tom's lying on the ground, nude, oiled up, with his hands tied behind his back, going "Who's gonna wrestle, who's gonna wrestle!" The friggin director is jumping around clapping his hands yelling "its go time!"

I'm like "f this. I cracked open a Schmitt's Gay and headed back to my cabana."

Dominic
03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually the whole movie is pretty fruity. When I was told a biography was being made about me, I thought it would be pretty cool. But, the final product was totally unexpected. Its like how they edit those other reality shows like Survivor and Real World. A lot of stuff happens behind the scenes that you don't know about.

Anyhow, the director had a hidden agenda. He kept dropping weird hints and suggestions, like he kept going on about which one of the pilots would win a "no-holds barred, nude-oil wresting match."

Tom kept saying he would win win with both hands tied behind his back, so ... Tom's lying on the ground, nude, oiled up, with his hands tied behind his back, going "Who's gonna wrestle, who's gonna wrestle!" The friggin director is jumping around clapping his hands yelling "its go time!"

I'm like "f this. I cracked open a Schmitt's Gay and headed back to my cabana."

[/ QUOTE ]

See?

slickpoppa
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
sounds dangerous

jakethebake
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sounds dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

ni han /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ice Man
03-23-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sounds dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I think "[censored]" is the word you are looking for.

Dominic
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Come to think of it, Kelly McGillis dressed all butch DOES make her look kinda manly.

Boris
03-23-2005, 03:17 PM
That's some funny chit.

Ice Man
03-23-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it, Kelly McGillis dressed all butch DOES make her look kinda manly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bar Scene (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=887018&Forum=, ,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=88 5369&Search=true&where=&Name=13185&daterange=&newe rval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Po st887018)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Punk's weekly pick up line: "If I don't come in a half hour your money back." (Hear that Christina?)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one, much better than the one I witnessed the other day. Some she-man was sitting at the bar. A local "fly-boy" swoops in with this silly routine: he and his wingman start signing the ol' Rightous Brothers' "Bring Back that Loving Feeling."

The whole thing was a disaster. First of all, the dude was like five-foot two, and he had to get a boost just to sing to her eye level. Then he starts hopping around giving all his buddies hugs and high fives. For awhile, I thought the bar stool next to the woman was going to be a tribute to the unknown soldier.

So the guy gets shot down, calls the woman a slut, then heads off to the bathroom with his buddies. He was saying something about a glory hole.

Really sad.

Really sad, and really unsafe.

Unsafe, sad, and dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Iceman,

you're the best dude.

Eurotrash
03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or be married to meg ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]

you do realize they killed off Goose.. COINCIDENCE that Iceman's jet-wash was culprit?

Hardly.

mike l.
03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
we went over this (not this specific thing you quote) but the idea of top gun being just queer as hell in one of my graduate film classes at usc. just watch the volleyball scene, it's very gay. plus tom cruise is notoriously gay in real life. anyway these are the type of things the mostly female or gay male students liked to go on and on and on about in grad school. it got really tiresome after awhile. the word subversive got tossed around to the point where it became meaningless.

bholdr
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! [censored]' A, man!

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao!

siccjay
03-23-2005, 06:14 PM
[censored] A man thats funny as [censored]

tek
03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I might have to rethink all the John Wayne movies I've seen. You know, all the cowboys on the range... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Are there any straight movies left or are they all ambiguously gay now /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I might have to rethink all the John Wayne movies I've seen. You know, all the cowboys on the range... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sacrilege!!!

tek
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Uh, well he did walk kind of funny /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, well he did walk kind of funny /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

His leg was tired from kicking Indians and/or outlaws in the ass. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

tek
03-24-2005, 12:47 PM
His real name was Marion Morrison. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jakethebake
03-24-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His real name was Marion Morrison. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm...Yea. I think pretty much everyone know that.