PDA

View Full Version : idol glitch/recount

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
<font color="green"> Fox has accidentally stumbled onto a way to squeeze an extra airing of American Idol onto its schedule: foul up the phone voting. That's what happened Tuesday night, when the show displayed the wrong call-in numbers for three of the contestants.

Voters who called the numbers listed for Anwar Robinson, Mikalah Gordon, or Jessica Sierra would have inadvertently registered support instead for Anthony Fedorov, Carrie Underwood, or Scott Savol. As a result, the error is forcing the first revote in Idol history.

Fox said in a statement that it would air a new hour-long Idol episode Wednesday night, adding that the show "will combine new live elements with encores of Tuesday's performances from the remaining 11 contestants." Fans will then be allowed to call in their votes on Wednesday night, while Tuesday's votes will be tossed out.

The results show that usually airs Wednesdays will then air on Thursday. This may prove an awkward solution, but it beats getting the Supreme Court involved.

03/23/05 06:50 EST

Click here to Try 2 Issues FREE of Entertainment Weekly

Copyright 2005 Entertainment Weekly, All Rights Reserved
</font>

you could infer some voting results from this story. can you spot what probably happened when they counted?

contentless
03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
This is stupid. The intelligent solution would be just to reassign the phone numbers. It's not as if anyone knew the 'real' numbers and tried to call those. All of the above mentioned had their votes counted correctly...someone just labelled the bin wrong.

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is stupid. The intelligent solution would be just to reassign the phone numbers. It's not as if anyone knew the 'real' numbers and tried to call those. All of the above mentioned had their votes counted correctly...someone just labelled the bin wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't do that.

as ryan worked through show, he gave correct numbers.

when they did recap at end, the numbers on screen were different and wrong.

people were given 2 numbers for 6 contestants. reassigning phone lines is no solution

contentless
03-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Ah, now it makes sense. The article didn't mention that numbers had changed from the performance to the end of the episode. I simply assumed that it was a clerical error within the vote-counting office.

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, now it makes sense. The article didn't mention that numbers had changed from the performance to the end of the episode. I simply assumed that it was a clerical error within the vote-counting office.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was an aol story.

here is a screenshot from the idol website. i had to do screenshot because you can't even copy text from there.

http://www.picturehost.co.uk/free.one/idol.JPG

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 03:34 PM
i have just done a tivo session of last nights show:

1. the numbers at the end during the recap seemed ok, but i need to go through that again.

2. i encourage everyone to carefully watch scott savol's performance as it re-airs tonight. the shedding of the hat and glasses were part of the performance for the song "take a look at me now". there was great use of symbolism with that move.

i posted last week that scott has the potential to be a real spoiler here and possibly advance to top 5. he really is very talented and has become less thuggish every week.

i just purchased 50 of him. if he makes top 5, i would not be surprised. i'm telling you, look carefully tonight.

MelK
03-23-2005, 03:50 PM
This is great. This show is awful and now you have to listen to all the crappy songs again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you bet on anyone yesterday, you should lose (unless you bet on no one winning). What a moronic thing to wager on anyway. Next, we will be wagering on Elementary school talent shows. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HAHAHAHAHA - this is briliant and so deserved for this show.

astroglide
03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
you obviously don't understand how the betting works or how much money is won by doing it

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
FWIW

i just rolled thru tivo again.

the last 3 contestants were listed in the recap at end like this

mikalah
866-idols-09
866-436-57<font color="red">01</font>

anwar
866-idols-10
866-436-57<font color="red">02</font>

jessica
866-idols-11
866-436-57<font color="red">03</font>

so, the name was right, the second line was right, but the third line pointed to contestants 1,2 &amp; 3

therefore, mikalah votes would have gone to anthony, anwar votes to carrie, and jessica votes to scott

only that small error, but too important to let it stand

Bytestream
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
The glitch was so small and probably didnt cause any significant voting errors at all. At the end of the show, when they recap the singers, it has a graphic like this:

Bo Bice
1-888-IDOLS 08
1-888-234-5601

See the IDOLS 08 number was correct (its also in a larger and bolder font, but when translated below, it shows 01 instead of 08. Probably 99% of people voted correctly.

Russ McGinley
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
American Idol is obviously RIGGED just like Party.

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American Idol is obviously RIGGED just like Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

woooo

was waiting for this!!

Bytestream
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"take a look at me now". there was great use of symbolism with that move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a symbolic song choice as well. I think he dedicated it to his father. And if memory serves correctly, he was the contestent whose father told him he sucked and would never make it as a singer and he was auditioning to prove his father wrong. Take a look at me now?

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
I think he dedicated it to his father

"dedicate" is a polite word you chose. i think it was more of an 'in your face, pops' comment he made before the performance. but imo you are absolutely right that he chose that song for symbolism with his dad. i had forgotten about that. i assumed the symbolism was simply that an underdog can make it. even more powerful now that you reminded me about the thing with his dad. i did not make the connection with the comment before he sang.

nice catch

jasonHoldEm
03-23-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can you spot what probably happened when they counted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carrie won by the biggest margin in idol history and Mikalah got four votes?

I wonder if the rebroadcast will have any effect on the market.?

2ndGoat
03-23-2005, 05:50 PM
The over-under for number of people that got fired over this is 2.

The over/under on number of quality control processes and standard operating procedures written or rewritten as a result is 4.5.

Over/under on the number of official letterhead-stamped memorandums (email or paper) sent from VPs to grunts is 2, under is -120 and over is even money.

Who wants action?

2nd

itsmarty
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
i encourage everyone to carefully watch scott savol's performance as it re-airs tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been backing that guy since the beginning, along with Nadia. He gives me chills when he sings (man, there's just no non-gay way to say that). Bo is amazing, too, but I was put off by the long hair and missed out on the real bargains. I still think a guy will take it, but I can't decide which look is going to turn off fewer voters, the tubby thug or the 40 year old hippy.

I think Federov's poor performance last night really helped show how the top five are going to shape up, with Bo, Scott, and Nadia out front, and Carrie (possible spoiler due to being just below them in talent plus hot) right behind. Federov and Anwar are playing for fifth.

I don't think the others have a chance at even top five, never mind winning (esp Mikalah, who is just embarrassing herself at this point).

Martin

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 06:30 PM
(esp Mikalah, who is just embarrassing herself at this point).

considering she was bottom 2 last week, coupled with that horrid performance last night, i would say you are dead on. elimination this week *should* be boring

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Mikalah got four votes?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i think they realized she was eliminated and to save ANY lawsuits or bad PR, they had to do this.

imagine eliminating the chick if the number posted on her was not accurate. this would probably have been accepted by 95% of the audience as inevitable, but this way she can't whine.

not only that, but they get another night of 30 million viewers so it was EV+ to do this for mikalah and the integrity of the show.
[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if the rebroadcast will have any effect on the market.?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing substantial imo. the carrie move yesterday was dramatic and there surely won't be anything at all like that.

rusty JEDI
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. i encourage everyone to carefully watch scott savol's performance as it re-airs tonight. the shedding of the hat and glasses were part of the performance for the song "take a look at me now". there was great use of symbolism with that move.

i posted last week that scott has the potential to be a real spoiler here and possibly advance to top 5. he really is very talented and has become less thuggish every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man. Ive been telling everyone since the start Scott was better and would go longer than you all thought. No more calling me a tone deaf 14 year old Canadian girl. Obey my words.

rJ

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
No more calling me a tone deaf 14 year old Canadian girl.

if the foo shi....

rusty JEDI
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Still waiting for a reply granny..... here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1986809&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1)

rJ

TimTimSalabim
03-23-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fired? Nah, somebody probably got a big fat promotion. Do you see why?

2ndGoat
03-23-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fired? Nah, somebody probably got a big fat promotion. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say nobody got a pat on the back... my line stands.

2nd

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting for a reply granny..... here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1986809&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1)
rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

you my buddy rJ

certain things are left better unsaid. you made me $250 on a day trade yesterday, so i'm being nice.

my confidence in anwar and bo being 1&amp;2 has not faltered, but keep on shorting him. my buckkins' will spend better knowing that you contributed in an indirect way.

revots33
03-23-2005, 07:55 PM
I've been backing Nadia but I dumped my shares after a nice profit (bought at 7). She sounded awful last night - and she looks more like a man in drag to me every week. She ain't winning.

Have my money on Carrie and Bo only now.

GrannyMae
03-23-2005, 08:01 PM
that mohawk was some scary stuff. i'll bet it is gone by tonight. if not, it is gone by next week.

honestly, i think nadia's biggest problem is that last season was diva season and the voters will be looking for different. for another diva to win, she would have to be better than fantasia.

nadia good, but NOT better than fantasia

Bytestream
03-23-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
elimination this week *should* be boring

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think theres a 50/50 chance that this will be an upset this week. Now, maybe 55/45 that there IS an upset with the recount. Reasoning: Mikalah, albeit not the best singer, has one of the largest fan bases in this competion based on the message boards. Mikalah voters KNOW she is on the bubble this week and are sure to dial untill their fingers bleed to save her. I don't think there will be as much voting this week (its airing an hour later) except from the powerdialing fanatics. I think theres a great chance that Mikalah stays and Vonzell goes this week. Vonzell voters might relax tonight feeling secure because of the kind words from Simon... I wouldnt be suprised to hear Ryan announce Vonzell out tommorow night.

Also, last night Nadia said, and this is a direct quote:

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to sing "artsy fartsy" songs...

[/ QUOTE ]

She got some notice during the semi's by choosing her favorite songs, but she is not going to make it far during these theme week performances. Get rid of your Nadias now, before someone holding a hundred or so of her catches on, dumps her and her price hits the shitcan.