PDA

View Full Version : Hand analysis in reverse

iceman5
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Lets do this one a little different.
$1/$2 NL at Party

Im UTG and I raise to $8. I get 3 callers and then you call on the button with JJ.

The pot is $40 and the flop comes 765 rainbow. I (UTG) bet $40. Its folded to you and you min raise to $80. Im not saying thats the best play but that what you did (because thats what the guy in this hand did). You started with $200 an I (UTG) have you covered.

I now push all in. Do you call? Theres about $260 in the pot and its $120 to you.

BobboFitos
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
no

edit - min raising in that spot is horrible, it should be noted.

xorbie
03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
I fold to you, and I fold against an average unknown. What am I beating? TT, that's basically it.

iceman5
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess this one wasnt too interesting because its too easy. The guy with JJ has to fold because theres no way Im betting $40 into 4 players with AK. He can only beat TT and is crushed by AA, KK and QQ.

He called though. I actually had 87s and had top pair plus a straight draw which put us at even money.

Yeknom58
03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
So did he call or did he just say he had JJ.

The fact that you raised UTG with 87s means you must have showed down some similar hands in that past so I probably would have pushed on the flop about 1/2 the time and fold the other 1/2 of the time. If I decided to min raise and you pushed I would almost always call because if you raise UTG with 87s that means in addition to AA-QQ, I would think you would make this same play with 88-TT.

Againsts an opponent who hasn't shown down these types of UTG raises I would pretty much always fold.

jhall23
03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm guessing here, but I would assume iceman is just balancing out his UTG raises with a few SC's like this ocassionally so that they are not so easy to read and he can have a deceptively strong hand if he flops good. If so I doubt that very many hands of this type have made it to a showdown as not many flops are going to help it out greatly and he is either picking up the pot on the flop or letting it go after that when he doesn't win the pot on the flop.

I think it's more likely that he just overestimated his fold equity against this opponent. Though if some of his EP raises had been shown down recently and they weren't "solid" values I agree it would definetly decrease the fold equity.

MikeL
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess this one wasnt too interesting because its too easy. The guy with JJ has to fold because theres no way Im betting $40 into 4 players with AK. He can only beat TT and is crushed by AA, KK and QQ.

He called though. I actually had 87s and had top pair plus a straight draw which put us at even money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has he, maybe, seen you play such hands UTG before? Or, perhaps, has he seen you play ALOT of such hands, before?

Just curious,
Mike L.

iceman5
03-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Ive only played about 100 hands with this guy so, no, he hasnt seen me make a play like that before. He was just your typical "I have an overpair, Im not folding" fool.

He did win the hand though so Im sure he thinks his play was genius. Let me just say, I got plenty of action after that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif