PDA

View Full Version : Here fishy fishy

KidV
03-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I have been playing on the 10+1 for 3 weeks and I have been getting beat on the bubble. So I am going to be posting some hands that are typical of my losses and I am hoping you fisherman can help me get into the boat, i am sick of being a fish. Thanks in advance.

Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed)

SB (t5518)
Hero (t1655)
Button (t827)

Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Button fold SB completes, Hero checks.

K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks,
Hero bets t1455 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1455.

Turn J/images/graemlins/club.gif
River 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Results in white below:
SB has 7s Ts (flush, ace high).
Hero has 7h Ad (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: SB wins t3310.

wbrumfiel
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
some tough luck there. However, Id raise more pre-flop if you are going to play this hand at all. Perhaps pushing is the correct move? I dont think he calls a push with T7 sooted

SuitedSixes
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
That's an easy push.

codewarrior
03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
There is nothing much wrong with your play here. Raise pre-flop.

octaveshift
03-23-2005, 01:29 PM
At this level, I'd probably have pushed with Ax preflop _IF_ I had even decided to get involved at all. The button is in a bad spot here. I'd be more inclined to let the big stack tear him up.....

IMO your mistake was letting him see the 2 flush on the flop. At that point, he had about a 35% chance to catch and knock you out, and took it.

sofere
03-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Push Preflop, but more importantly, don't let a spade hit on the river next time. Tough skill to learn but it just takes practice.

Scuba Chuck
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
The most important skill to learn here is how to post in white. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

You need to put the text between the (color:white) (/color) text. Like this:

(color:white)
SB has 7s Ts (flush, ace high).
Hero has 7h Ad (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: SB wins t3310.
(/color)

You'll find better results this way. Good first post.

Oh, and by the way, PUSH preflop.

KidV
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
So if I push preflop, is my goal for him to drop? I figuired i wanted a showdown with my hand 2 player, am I wrong?

KidV
03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
what is the purpose of the preflop raise? to get more chips, to get him to drop? I figuired I had the odds in my favor so I tried to lead him in, is that a mistake?

shoeman
03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if I push preflop, is my goal for him to drop? I figuired i wanted a showdown with my hand 2 player, am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

A7o is only 60% to win against a random hand. It is better than average (obviously) but not a hand you want to see a showdown with. If you thought you could take the 200 chips uncontested, definately do it.

BTW, I'm all-in on the flop here too.

Bluff Daddy
03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A7o is only 60% to win against a random hand. It is better than average (obviously) but not a hand you want to see a showdown with. If you thought you could take the 200 chips uncontested, definately do it.

BTW, I'm all-in on the flop here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

took the words right out of my mouth, youre hand is very unlikely to win unimproved so you would much rather take it down now. Besides maybe playing too many hands early not playing aggressive enough on the bubble is the biggest mistake beginners make.

Cleveland Guy
03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I'll look at is from his side:

You didn't raise pre-flop, so it's unlikelly you have AA, KK or AK.

So at worst he knows he is up against trips, possible an underpair, possibly an Ax - 1 pair.

He has 9 outs against any logical hand you have.

9 outs x 2 cards = ~ 36%.

It's not a great odds play - but look at it this way, if he loses, he is still the chip leader with a short stack - so he is almost guaranteed 2nd no matter what, with still a fairly average shot at first.

If he wins, first is his 90% of the time.

From a chip standpoint this play is slightly negative, but from a $ standpoint I think this is a highly positive EV.

KidV
03-23-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

From a chip standpoint this play is slightly negative, but from a $ standpoint I think this is a highly positive EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? In fish terms bad play me or good play me? Considering I am short stacked is this a good play?

Scuba Chuck
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Essentially what you're hearing from the forum, and is the concensus by the way, that pushing this hand preflop is the best decision here.

Reasons:
1. You might win the blinds (and his completed bet) right here, without seeing the flop or a showdown. Winning the blinds without a showdown is generally most desirable, and has the least amount of risk of ruin (0%).
2. Your hand runs well "hot and cold" (allin to a showdown preflop) against any two cards. More specifically, against any random hand, you're likely a 60% favorite to win the hand anyway.

So to sum up, you have a relatively strong preflop hand (#36 out of 169 total hand combinations). It might lose significant value once the flop has been seen. Therefore, force opponent to pay to see the flop by pushing all your chips, in the middle. Play the 60% odds that you might win this hand. The poker gods blessed you with a top 21% hand strength here. Wield that power.

Scuba

Cleveland Guy
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? In fish terms bad play me or good play me? Considering I am short stacked is this a good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

your bad play. What if he had a King here too?

Push this pre-flop if you are going to play it.