PDA

View Full Version : Cheating Rings in PP Step 5

edfilan
03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Has anybody heard about this? When I registered into my Step 5 (single) last night, an observer was warning everone not to play because there was a Russian cheating ring at the table. Sure enough, there were two players from Moscow and 1 other from another Russian locale. The observer gave a link to an internet gambling forum (not this one), the name of which I can't remember right now, but when I checked it, the name of one of the Moscow guys showed up in a thread on this subject.

People were saying things like, "They play every Step 5," "They sit in the same seats," and "They never bet against one another." This is hardly damning evidence, but I decided to leave the table and investigate for myself before committing my $1k.

I watched 4 Step 5 tables, and it turned out that on every table there were 7 or 8 players simultaneously playing on another table (including the Moscow players). The Moscow players were not betting against one another, but on the other hand, they weren't betting against anyone else either. They were extremely tight, in one case, getting all the way to the 100/200 blind level before playing his 1st hand.

I concluded that most likely, these people are making an honest living feeding off the fishes that manage to survive through to Step 5. I half-expected it but it is slightly troubling to realize that when I do make it here, I'm playing with a bunch of pro regulars.

So, with all the same people playing on every table, it made no sense to wait any longer so I took my plunge. I busted out in 4th place getting my $1200. Incidentally, both Russians at my table again played very tightly but busted out before the money.

Any thoughts/observations?

The Yugoslavian
03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Meh.

Yugoslav

Punker
03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
RGP thread about the cheating ring (http://www.recpoker.com/article.php?group_id=&article_id=457082&search_id= )

It's been discussed on RGP...surprised not to see discussion of it here.

john_
03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I saw some idiot crying about this before...

Obviously they're going to play tight if its a step5 and obviously if they are both playing tight they are going to more likely to respect raises from each other.

Do you really think two people would be stupid enough to try and collude and have their city listed as the same city? Besides, Moscow is a huge city and these players play in the step 5's constantly. And why do people assume they are winning?

shoeman
03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Is your real name Vladimir? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jah0550
03-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Long live mother Russia, commrad! lol

wbrumfiel
03-23-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And why do people assume they are winning?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless they are pretty crazy rich or crazy good Id assume they are winning. You cant play a lot of step 5s and not got broke if you arent winning, right? Not saying this is collusion but saying they are playing a lot of them just seems to me to say they are also winning players.

ilya
03-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Those damn Russians. Nuke 'em!

se2schul
03-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I saw three people from Vegas in a Step 5... I hate those American cheating rings!

skipperbob
03-23-2005, 03:25 PM
G.D. Commie-Pinko-F.A.G.S /images/graemlins/mad.gif

john_
03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless they are pretty crazy rich or crazy good Id assume they are winning. You cant play a lot of step 5s and not got broke if you arent winning, right? Not saying this is collusion but saying they are playing a lot of them just seems to me to say they are also winning players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised...

BradleyT
03-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Cousin Larry?

This is BalkyT!

The Yugoslavian
03-23-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
G.D. Commie-Pinko-F.A.G.S /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree....

I keep telling my Moscow cousins to stop cheating at the STEP 5s, but do they listen? Nooooooooo....

Yugoslav