PDA

View Full Version : Preflop raise > flop check: freezes me up

stigmata
03-23-2005, 12:32 PM
First hand so no reads. Villain was pretty shortstacked, so I presume not terribly good.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

My flop check-raise plan backfires. I try to mix up betting out/check raising, but my default play here is check raising. Anybody prefer betting out, and why?

I am awfully suspicous when people check flops through HU after raising preflop. Stinks of a flopped set, IMO. This freezes me up for the rest of the hand.

Anybody bet out the turn, and fold to a raise?

Turn: (2.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

stigmata
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Shameless bump.

Could someone at least have a go at me for being a [censored] calling station /images/graemlins/mad.gif, and tell me at what point I was meant to bet/fold this thing.

TMFS9
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
I am exactly the same way, it's almost like I would rather them bet. You said no reads so I assume you haven't noticed if he's done this before or if he's bet every flop that he's raised. With that in mind IMO you played it the right way, because either he has uber trash or a really strong hand, either way you really don't want to be betting.

djoyce003
03-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I bet out here, then go into check/call after the turn if he calls my flop bet, but if I can take it down here with a flop bet, i'm cool with it. I think someone checking through is not something you should be worried about. Most players expect you to bet at them if they check it to you, so I think you are giving this guy credit for being unnecessarily tricky. If I had flopped a set here on you and you checked it to me, i'd bet it....hoping you would checkraise. Then i'd call, and raise your turn bet.

Grisgra
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I feel your pain. I have been pwned in similar situations on more than one occasion, where I catch a piece and the pf raise gets more bets out of me long-term than he would if he had behaved like a good boy. Definitely occurs more at 10/20, and I would not be surprised at all if he showed you AT or better here. I call this down and then realize just how much I suck after he turns over his set/AT/overpair/whatever.

As -EV as it clearly would be if everyone knew you played it that way, I wonder whether it's +EV to check/fold the turn in these situations when you don't have top pair and the pot isn't very big.

Chizoad
03-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Not a big fan of the way you played this after the failed CR on the flop.

This hand looks like he had KQ or something, checked behind on the flop, took a stab at it on the turn, hit on the river and got you to pay him off.

Best option on the turn: Bet out with a plan of folding to a raise, if just called check call the river (give him a chance to bluff at it). Costs the same as the way you played it but has more of an upside. You could CR the turn, since you're probably ahead, but it costs a lot when you're behind, and he'd likely correctly fold overcards to the CR.

Chiz

stigmata
03-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes, in retrospect, your right chizoad. Been played with too many times at 10/20, some sort of micro-tilt I guess.

He rivered it with AQ.