PDA

View Full Version : Who's retarder...me or villain...

sofere
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Or should we share the podium?

I have been playing fairly lose aggressive on the bubble, Villain is loose passive...limps a lot of hands.
Big Stack has not been taking advantage of Senior Hango Onno.

Edit: This is a $22 Stars tourney.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t6710)
SB (t170)
Hero (t4375)
UTG (t2245)

Preflop: Hero is BB
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes t70 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4375</font>, UTG insta-calls t2045 (All-In).
Hero shows down 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Villain shows down A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

My thought process was that limping indicated that he didn't have a great hand...I never saw him slowplay a premium hand. He would probably let it go and wait for small stack to go away (i was very wrong here). If small stack survives, I can push villain around more.

The flaw in my thinking was that HangerOnner was already all-in, so villain would have to lose to both to not place.

Can anyone figure out the chance of a hand like A9 being busted by both of two random hands?

Oh yeah...and who wins the retard contest?

codewarrior
03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I say you win, that wasn't a good play. And the word is retardeder, not retarder...

&lt;-- wiener dog... hee hee

Cleveland Guy
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
You are

Q3 Sucks against an all in player. Why give him more chips?

You aren't the chip leader, so I would be happy to make the money - and be able to take on the chip leader for first.

If you wanted to raise - why push?

sofere
03-23-2005, 12:27 PM
True...it would've been a lot less suspicious to just raise. If, for arguments sake, shorty folded and had 200-500 left, do u push any two here? I say yes.

microbet
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Villan is more retarded.

Actually, retarder is a word. It just doesn't mean 'more retarded.' Retardeder is not a word.

codewarrior
03-23-2005, 01:01 PM
You don't say...

You should have your humor genes checked, I think their telomeres are getting a mite short.

&lt;-- wiener dog. hee hee

pooh74
03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
I also dont like this move bc you have to show you your hand no matter what...this can help or hurt you i guess.

Nottom
03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I vote you. As already noted, villian had to lose to both of you to bust out so his call isn't as bad as the case if SB folded.

Your play on the other hand is basically a bluff into a dry side pot with Q3. The side pot here is tiny and you really just want to bust out the shortstack, call and see the flop before doing anything more in this hand.

beeyjay
03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't mind this play. With 570 chips out there your all in raise is good to get you versus the short stack. You're not in any immediate danger of going out even if the short stack triples up which would happen if he wins here. I feel like it is unlikely you are dominated by either hand and thus you have a good enough chance of winning to warrant getting heads up against him.

I feel that the villian is making a critical error here calling you with A9s. The only way I feel he can make this call is with a pair of KK or AA. Otherwise the risk is just too good that you could catch something to knock him out and the small stack could sneak into the money.

microbet
03-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I have mentioned before that I have a lousy sarcasm meter.

I've got to remember, check for sarcasm, check for sarcasm, check for sarcasm .....

willie
03-23-2005, 01:16 PM
you

11t
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Bad move for no chips, and you ruined your table image.

Also a good portion of time you probably won't even win vs the SB. I'd try to check it all the way down.

sofere
03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The side pot here is tiny and you really just want to bust out the shortstack

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation, I actually felt it better to keep short stack in the game. As I noted in OP, the big stack was not being aggressive with such a short stack around, so I thought I could take on that responsibility and steal villains blinds every time if shorty won the hand and had ~500 chips.

An interesting point that someone made earlier is that I'd have to show my hand no matter what. Although they knew I wasn't always raising with a good hand, psycologically seeing the cards face up will probably make them more willing to call next time.

pooh74
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation, I actually felt it better to keep short stack in the game. As I noted in OP, the big stack was not being aggressive with such a short stack around, so I thought I could take on that responsibility and steal villains blinds every time if shorty won the hand and had ~500 chips.

An interesting point that someone made earlier is that I'd have to show my hand no matter what. Although they knew I wasn't always raising with a good hand, psycologically seeing the cards face up will probably make them more willing to call next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and my point, or lack thereof, was that this prevents you from stealing with garbage (which was your plan thereafter). So this play could only hurt you. IF, on the other hand, you got KK in the next few hands, this move would wouldve benefited you. I like to create the "solid" table image at this point of the game because stealing becomes so necessary and we are not going to see enough good hands in relation to the blinds coming around.

So showing cards here I see as a bad psychologically.

sofere
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I WIN I WIN...Final score of 5-2. Actually 6-2 with my vote (although I think it was a bit closer than others thoguth though).

Anybody else wanna take me on for the title?

BRING IT ON!

Paul2432
03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I think your move is not unreasonable. By raising you are creating dead money in the pot and increasing your chance of winning the hand. I would expect villian to fold here the vast majority of the time.

Paul

Apathy
03-23-2005, 02:15 PM
If the blinds were a little higher, and you were the CL this would be a pretty standard play. The problem is that as the second stack if the Big stack is decent at all you do not want the bubble to continue. Call and check it down.

beeyjay
03-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I would agree with you apathy, if the OP had not said the Cheip leader was failing to take advantage of the small stack. Not that this simple statement in the post is enough for me to judge exactly the circumstances but I feel like I get the general idea of what type of player this is.

Its a person who is clearly not used to being in this position in a SnG and has no idea how to use his big stack to bully. If there is a stack even close to that small this guy should be out there at least minraising every hand whittling down the middle stacks while the small stack hangs around. This is enough to make me think the big stack is essentially clueless in this situation and the hero here can act as the big stack and bully the 3rd stack for the dead money in the pot.

Nottom
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem I have here is that tripling up the shortstack puts him one double up away from being a legitimate threat and back in the game. I understand your desire to keep stealing from the 3rd place guy, but I don't think this is the place to get tricky.