PDA

View Full Version : Worst poker experience ever.

jj_frap
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
The owners of my favourite pub were tired, and did not want us playing poker till 6 am tonight.

So I invite 4 friends to my place to christen my new set of chips in a small hold'em tournament.

Everybody except me wanted to play antes, so I caved on that. Unfortunately, two of them also figured it would be fun to see the flop without a round of bidding...The rest of us were not in the mood to argue, so we just grudgingly went along with it, even though game was now a crapshoot not worthy of the name "poker".

As the buy-in was only $5, those of us annoyed by the rules played badly because we were too bored to take the game seriously, leaving the supporters of the rule to play the most boring, sloppy, passive poker I've ever seen.

They eventually split the pot at 6 am and I collapse into bed exhausted.

Lottery Larry
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
You goofed. You should have treated it as a good post-flop reading exercise.

RRRRICK
03-23-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You goofed. You should have treated it as a good post-flop reading exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of reading post flop is utilising pre flop information. Since there isn't any pre flop information what exactly are reading.

RiverDood
03-23-2005, 11:30 PM
If that's as bad as it ever gets, you'll enjoy a charmed life. Try this:

1. Playing 7-stud against some wise guy who turns over his hole cards in a blur, announces he's got a flush, grabs an absolutely huge pot, shoves his cards into the muck -- and gets psychopathically belligerent when I say: "Slow down a moment. I want to see those cards."

2. Playing 7-stud at 3 a.m. with a scratched cornea, so that you can barely see your own hole cards, let alone anyone else's up cards. Do you raise, call or fold when the guy with four blurry black cards bets into you?

3. Playing lowball in a scuzzy cardroom against an unshaven guy with bad teeth, nasty tattooes and a hunting knife. The bigger the pot, the more prominent the knife becomes.

4. Playing dealer's choice in a cockroach-infested New York City apartment where one guy picks up a dead roach and announces: How much will anyone pay me if I eat this?

4a. Throwing $20 on the table and saying: "You're on."

4b. Losing $20.

---------

I'm still playing, and one of these days I'll have a fifth one for the list, like it or not. But I'd trade away any of those experiences for a chance to play low-stakes holdem for the mentally feeble.

edge
03-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Ever played a game called one-card hi/lo?

Yeah.

Well, I have. Every player gets dealt one card face-down. There is a round of betting. High card takes half of the pot, low card takes the other half. No qualifier.

Lottery Larry
03-24-2005, 01:22 AM
The part where you concentrate only on post-flop information. I didn't say it was the easiest thing in the world.

RRRRICK
03-24-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The part where you concentrate only on post-flop information. I didn't say it was the easiest thing in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not mutually exclusive

EStreet20
03-24-2005, 08:25 AM
That's a drinking game, not a money game.

Lottery Larry
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not mutually exclusive

[/ QUOTE ]

They are when you don't HAVE any pre-flop betting.... duh.

smoore
03-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I dunno Larry....

If the flop is QT6 (rainbow) and you don't have any preflop information to go on... you bet out with a pair of Q, I raise you the entire pot.... what do I have? Without the preflop information, my raise is hard to figure and doesn't really help you in a game later where you DO have preflop information. Had I raised preflop and you bet out with your QTs and THEN I reraise you.... now you can narrow my hands down to things like AQ, QQ, TT, and even AT if I'm trying to isolate you to get the donks out. You really can't tell if I have QT (like you), T6, Q6 or even 66 at that point. (I would assume that a limp preflop followed by a big raise on that flop could definitely represent 66 in the hole).

Preflop information is the base, flop information defines a hand or a draw and it gets refined from there. I say this particular game is a crapshoot that requires "postflop guesses". I would probably play just to see if I could beat it but I wouldn't expect to get any valuble education from it.

FreakyD
03-25-2005, 01:19 AM
I'll also agree -- more a drinking game than any test of skill. Might as well play Indian poker (can we still call it "Indian poker"?). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reading a hand is a combination of pre- and post-flop action, opponents' body language, smack talk, etc., etc. If this was suggested as a game in my group, we'd first give the unfortunate soul a smack upside the head, then suggest he go play the old Intellivision "Poker and Blackjack" if he wants nonsense action.

msb
03-25-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll also agree -- more a drinking game than any test of skill. Might as well play Indian poker (can we still call it "Indian poker"?). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the PC name for that is either "Injun' Poker" or "Redskin Poker". http://www.allemoticons.com/People/indian.gif

... or is it "Indian" http://www.allemoticons.com/People/turban.gif Poker?

MortalWombat
03-25-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever played a game called one-card hi/lo?

Yeah.

Well, I have. Every player gets dealt one card face-down. There is a round of betting. High card takes half of the pot, low card takes the other half. No qualifier.

[/ QUOTE ]I play this game heads-up a lot. Although for some reason I can't seem to do better than break even. Any advice?

Lottery Larry
03-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I didn't say it was a good idea or anything. Why not just treat it as a really loose/passive table, where everyone sees the flop no matter what the bets?

Try reading from there- it might be more valuable that it seems on first blush.

What it comes down to... when given lemons, try to make a yellowish-water drink, even if it's not good lemonaide.

ott
03-26-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the PC name for that is either "Injun' Poker" or "Redskin Poker". http://www.allemoticons.com/People/indian.gif

... or is it "Indian" http://www.allemoticons.com/People/turban.gif Poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PC name for "Indian Poker" would be "Native American Poker". Indian Poker would otherwise be referring to "Dell Customer Service" Poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FreakyD
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Indian Poker would otherwise be referring to "Dell Customer Service" Poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're gettin' an earful of thick accent! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
LMAO

valenzuela
03-26-2005, 06:18 PM
lol...yeah bet ur aces hard.