PDA

View Full Version : Was my play too weak-tight here?

jj_frap
03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Scenario: We're down to 4 players at a pub tournament.

I'm dealt A-3 offsuit as BB and everyone limps in.

I check.

We see the flop, and an ace and two middle-card rags come up.

The SB checks to me and I bet about 40% of the pot. Two players called, the SB folds.

Another Ace comes up, and I bet about 2/3 of the pot, getting one call and one fold.

Another rag comes up, and I make a small bet of about 1/3 of the pot. My opponent raises me twice the pot, and I fold, fearing that he has a better ace or that he has a pocket pair that hit its boat.

Just to be a jackass, he shows us his cards, and ends up with a ragged two pair.

Luckily, we played another tournament later that night, and I used his looseness and aggressiveness (the first tournament was my first time playing against him) to pound on his chipstack every time I had an average-plush and, taking a commanding chip lead that easily head up for the rest of the tournament due to the rest of the field's extremely passive play.

Dudd
03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
4 handed and you have trips, yeah, I think it's weak.

J-Lo
03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Not only is it weak, but u were betting like a complete wuss. At a pub tournament, i expect players do be loose, loose, and looser. They watch WPT, and think they are gus hanson. Any time i play live, i expect my oponents to be complete fish-- until they prove otherwise. It seems to need help understanding deep stack play. When the stacks are that deep potting it is usually more correct-- And that river bet screams of, "i missed my draw-- time to make a desperate bluff," so you hafta call that river.