PDA

View Full Version : Godfather goof

10-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Heard recently on sports talk show: When Sonny is executed at the toolbooth the year is 1948. However, the radio plays Bobby Thompson's game winning playoff homer, hit in 1951. Even better, according to a real hard core goof spotter, the family had just eaten a huge sit-down meal, which implies the day of the week is Sunday. But, since the regular season ended on Sunday, the game was played on Monday, and according to this anal retentive, the lighting suggests early afternoon, but the homer would have been hit in the late afternoon. So, even without the date, we know the scene is wrong.

John

andyfox
10-10-2002, 02:59 PM
How do you know the year is 1948?

10-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Tom, I believe, mentions the year in an earlier scene. Damned if I can remember it, though, and I know I couldn't pay attention that closely.

John

andyfox
10-10-2002, 05:07 PM
I've seen the movie probably 100 times, and I don't remember the exact year being mentioned, but hell, at my age, I don't remember much.

Uston
10-10-2002, 05:31 PM
This is what I found on IMDB.com...

"Anachronisms: The movie's chronology indicates the time frame of the movie when Sonny is gunned down is late 1948 or 1949; however, he was listening to the 3 October 1951 radio broadcast of Russ Hodges calling the Dodgers-Giants playoff, a half-inning before Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard 'Round the World," specifically identifying the date of the murder as two years later than the movie's timeline indicates it should be."

This would indicate that you are correct in thinking that the year was never mentioned. IMDB (Internet Movie Database) is a great, great site you should check out if you haven't already. It also contains gems such as...

"Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, and Dustin Hoffman were all offered the part of Michael Corleone, but all refused. Robert Redford and Ryan O'Neal were also considered."