PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with min-raises in the late stages

Dudd
03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
This is something I've been having trouble with lately. It's fairly late in a Party SNG ($55), and I pick up a playable hand in the blinds such as 88 or 99. I'll have somewhere in the range of 5-10BB, and it's minraised in front of me. Is this an autopush? I've busted in several different tournaments recently this way, each time the min-raiser showing me a premium hand, AA-JJ. Is this a common betting pattern, or has the recent negative results just clouded my thinking so that I don't remember all the times in the past that my 99 has stood up in a coinflip or dominated an overpair? Probably should add that we are not in the money yet, but down to 4 or 5.

Misfire
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've busted in several different tournaments recently this way, each time the min-raiser showing me a premium hand, AA-JJ. Is this a common betting pattern...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so. Premium hands should want you to call/reraise, right?

EverettKings
03-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Couple things

If a min-raise is a typical raise for them, then I push without batting an eye.

You might also want to consider a stop-and-go if your stack is big enough to make a sizeable push on the flop (a stack with 5-10 BBs is ideal for this). That is, just call and push any flop.

I've seen lots of min raises with far-from-premium hands, so you can't always be expecting monsters unless you have an unusual reason to do so in this particular case.

My standard play is pushing though.

-Kings

sofere
03-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Depends a lot on read of minraiser. If he's minraising a lot, then this is a push. If he's raised 3x-4xbb every time before and never minraised, and it looks like a trap, I'd probably fold. I think it'd have to be a really strong read to not push it though (unless there is a really short stack about to bust out).

But then again, what do I know...I just got voted as retardererererer /images/graemlins/frown.gif.