PDA

View Full Version : rivered set against flop capper

mr pink
03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
villain is unknown, just sat down - his first hand

dealt Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in utg+2

i limper, i raise, 1 coldcaller in LP, sb folds, bb(the villain) calls, limper calls.

flop: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif - 4 players - 8.5 sbs

checked to me, i bet, folded to the villain who check/raises, folded to me, i 3-bet, villian caps.

turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif - 2 players - like 8 bbs

villain bets, i call. -

river: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 players - 10 bbs

villain bets, i raise...

Fat Nicky
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I only like this if you're capable of folding to a 3-bet.

mr pink
03-23-2005, 11:52 AM
why?

Fat Nicky
03-23-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why?

[/ QUOTE ]

what hands does villain 3-bet the river here that we beat?

mr pink
03-23-2005, 11:59 AM
good point, probably slim to none.

at the time, i thought he might have been overplaying 2 pair, or another set or even just top pair w/ the A /images/graemlins/club.gif. is that a reasonable assumption?

i thought the river raise was good cause of the above factors, but then again i guess i need to muck it when he 3-bets as well.

Fat Nicky
03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good point, probably slim to none.

at the time, i thought he might have been overplaying 2 pair, or another set or even just top pair w/ the A /images/graemlins/club.gif. is that a reasonable assumption?

i thought the river raise was good cause of the above factors, but then again i guess i need to muck it when he 3-bets as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with your assumption which I why I like the river raise when you hit your set. Once villain 3-bets, you are losing money when you call.

mr pink
03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
ok, thanks man. just a little sanity check here. calling down after i rivered that set just felt really weak. raising the river and then mucking is an aspect of my game that doesn't get a lot of practice and i'm not totally sure when and where to use it just yet.

valphoosier
03-23-2005, 12:31 PM
What limit are you playing and what is the game like? If the limit is low enough and the game weak enough, folding to a 3 bet probably shouldn't be in your normal repertoire (sp?).
If this player is solid, his play doesn't seem indicative of two pair or a set or anything like that b/c his flop play doesn't protect any of these hands at all. He knows you're probably going to bet right to his left b/c you raises PF. Why not lead into you knowing you will likely raise to protect his hand and get lots more info about your hand?

So, to me, it seems like you were either ahead and are now further ahead or, probably more likely, you were behind and are now more behind and should just call. I know it seems weak to call, but by raising, you're really counting on him CRing the flop w/ a pair and a flush draw (or something like that) in order to get paid off.

Just my thougths.

Fat Nicky
03-23-2005, 12:37 PM
i asked the same question before....what hands does the villain 3-bet here on the river that you beat?