PDA

View Full Version : 50k hands and i've lost money with 22-55

Eihli
03-23-2005, 09:47 AM
these are suppose to be +ev right? or are they -ev, but less -ev than folding?

edit: party 2/4 btw

mack848
03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm a little surprised.

In 2/4 I play them from UTG in most games - almost entirely for set value. After 20k hands I'm winning with all pairs except 55 (which indicates that the sample size is too small).

What is your strategy with them?

I would replay a load of hands where you played them past the flop. Your stategy with them appears to not be working.

chief444
03-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I've won money with them. Maybe you should post some questionable hands. I'm positive with them even from EP. You definitely shouldn't be negative with them overall from all positions. I'd look back and post some that you may be unsure about postflop.

Eihli
03-23-2005, 10:08 AM
i'll play them from up front unless i notice the game is raising a lot and sometimes shorthanded. i'll only play them from MP if i've got 2+ limpers and LP if i've got 3+. postflop i don't try anything tricky, i just play for the sets.

Waloonga
03-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Important though that you get enough callers into the pot to get the implicit odds high enough. Are you seeing enough callers to the flop?

adamstewart
03-23-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
these are suppose to be +ev right? or are they -ev, but less -ev than folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

Seriously, depends how you play them, don't you think?

Adam

DeeJ
03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
For ages 55 was my worst hand because I was playing it too much too often and not folding it when I did.

Now I tightened up and play 55-22 LP (or with a number of players in) and mosttimes use no-set-no-bet philosophy and my hole is blocked. Ain't making much with them, but at least I'm not losing hand over fist as I used to be. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

SA125
03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
There was a post one time by a guy with a huge DB who said they're marginal at best and I'd guess that's right. It probably comes down to what kind of game it is and how well you play. You see guys play them from anywhere in rock gardens, get raised by an overpair and call down. Doesn't make sense.

DMBFan23
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
if you have enough hands to filter out the times when you were in a blind, try that.

chief444
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Important though that you get enough callers into the pot to get the implicit odds high enough. Are you seeing enough callers to the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes and no. I don't mind taking any PP heads up. If I don't get enough callers should I just tell them to call more? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, I don't always play them.

Eihli
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
what do you mean? are you trying to make a joke? would you give the same response if i had asked whether or not AA was +ev

Bluffoon
03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I play my small pairs from anywhere for one bet as along as I have a limper in front of me and I make a decent profit on them.

If you truly dump them unless you hit a set then you need to review the hands you hit. Start with the ones you lost. Was there something you could have done to win the hand? Then look at the winners. Did you manage to extract max value? Post them here for some feedback.

Also something to look at is are you weak-tight? If so your opponents may not be paying you off like they could be if you were doing an appropriate amount of semi-bluffing and semi-bluff raising.

Eihli
03-23-2005, 11:58 AM
good points, i'll look into it, thx

adamstewart
03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would you give the same response if i had asked whether or not AA was +ev

[/ QUOTE ]

why yes, i would.

DO YOU SEE WHY?

(i'm being serious here. Of course, I will elaborate if you do not understand what I am saying).

Adam

Eihli
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
when you said "Seriously, depends how you play them, don't you think?". every hands ev depends on how you play it. that's as obvious as anything gets. it would be outlandish for anyone to assume someone thinks otherwise. which lead me to believe you were joking, or this was your way of saying my question was worded in a stupid way.