PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 5/10 QQ... vs 10/0/4

deathpotato
03-23-2005, 05:08 AM
OK, sorry about the QQ posts, but I really need to know how I'm out of line here. I'm pretty sure I completely messed this hand up. I'll get into how later on.

MP in this hand has raised a grand total of 0 times preflop in my 90 hands with him. Thinking about it now, this could easily be variance hitting an already-very-passive player, but at the time I was filled with the urge to play this hand strangely (as you can see). Postflop he is quite aggressive, bets his draws/semibluffs, and makes good folds. BB is quite the calling station, he has called to showdown with J-high.

Anyway, on to the hand. Preflop, I was thinking that with a 0% PFR over 90 hands, this guy is probably raising AA-QQ or JJ maybe, and AK/AKs. Of this range, I only dominate JJ, so I'll... call? Now this seems like a very much worse option than raising. If I raise I not only usually knock out BB, I know that if he caps I am almost certainly behind. Out of what I think his preflop raising range is, AA-JJ, AK, AKs, I'm only dominated 12 times, am dominating 6, am slightly ahead 20, and obviously chop once. This should be easy to get away from should a K or A flop.

On the flop, I was lost, quite frankly. Looking at it now, if I raise, BB will likely fold, provided he isn't on a straight or flush or gutshot draw, possibly clearing up Aces or Kings if MP has JJ. I think MP will 3bet me with his AA-JJ, and will 3bet maybe 25% of the time with AK, all the time with AsKs obviously. I think I'm calling here because I really don't know what to do if raised.

On the turn, I now have a 3rd-nut one card flush draw (nothing to really call home about, but still, if he has AA or KK I have hope), but BB may have just got there. I think this call is OK, and if extremely passive BB raises, I can easily fold a non-spade river. Again, I call because I don't know what to do against a raise from MP.

Well that's a harmless river, provided BB wasn't calling with an actual pair for once. Again, I call, here I think this is the right play. I don't see any value in a raise, AK will likely fold, MP is certainly not folding AA-JJ, and will probably reraise these hands, as he knows I don't make a habit of coldcalling with 3s. He has AA-KK at least twice as often as he has JJ, so getting 3bet sucks. BB is generally very passive all the time, but I'm not sure that I can fold to a raise from him even with the board pairing now. If for some reason BB raised and MP 3-bet, which I don't think he would do, I would fold.

As a side-note, I don't think MP folds KK to a raise if an A comes after my coldcall.

Well, it feels good to get this mess off my chest. There are very likely 2, and quite possibly 3 misplayed streets here, so please shout some sense into me before I mangle a hand like this again.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

Belok
03-23-2005, 05:50 AM
If your read is so good that you know he has AA or KK, you fold preflop. Why get yourself involved in a 20/80 dog hand.

I doubt the guy ONLY raises AA or KK, so you can probably put him on a range of JJ-AA AKs-AQo. How do you know more precisely? You really need to reraise him preflop. If he caps it you can most likely put him on AK or higher. If he doesnt cap it preflop, he doesnt have KK or AA and your goal is to get as many bets in as possible.
So lets pretend it was capped preflop. He bets out on the flop. You raise. If he reraises, and is as much of a rock as you say he is, i'd just go into calldown mode. If he just calls, he's probably sitting on AK or JJ and you're way ahead.

Calling down the whole way is NOT an option.

BreakEvenPlayer
03-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Hey bud, nice detail on the post, couldn't quite read all of it though. Do we really know this much about who we are playing with?

This is the kind of hand where PlayerView stats can get us into a little trouble.

You pretty much answered your own question though. You absolutely need to 3-bet this PF... Probably would have led to a head-up hand where you have position. Or maybe BB calls two cold with his cheese and we're charging him some more.

2 scenarios:

He caps PF. At this point raise the flop and then if he three bets call him down. if he calls your flop raise bet turn and river.

He just calls three bet PF... Sometimes this one is a little more scary, this is a passive player who's making his first PF raise... maybe he want's to try and sneak a few more bets out of you with AA.

Either way be the aggressor here and if he doesn't let up just see a showdown on this board. Your hand is too good to fold headsup against anyone on this board. But as you can imagine a PF 3-bet makes the rest of the hand play out a lot more logically... and the way that BB was straggling along with god knows what the whole way makes the way you played this hand absolutely unacceptable.

mantasm
03-23-2005, 06:17 AM
1st scenario: If he caps preflop and 3bets the flop would you consider folding the spade turn? I probably wouldn't do it but maybe it's a good idea. You're only ahead of JJ now.

I agree you should 3 bet preflop, that changes the rest of the hand.

BreakEvenPlayer
03-23-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he caps preflop and 3bets the flop would you consider folding the spade turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider yes but I'd never do it. I would call him down and laugh at myself when he shows AA, but there have been times when I've seen guys with the exact same stats just go nuts with 99 or AK and it shows that we always have to take PV stats with a grain of salt. Besides, pretty big pot we have made and we don't EVER want to fold a winner here.

deathpotato
03-23-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
go nuts with 99 or AK

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention that...
MP shows AJo, MHIG, and I feel really stupid about the misread. Stupid but happy.