PDA

View Full Version : MTT situation against EP limper

sxz18
03-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Here's a common MTT situation I run across almost every tournament I play. I'm still not quite sure what the correct move is but I'm hoping someone here can help me out!

This situation is specific toward the middle of a tournament when blinds are 150/300 and the average stack is roughly 2500-3000. Your stack is around 3500 and UTG/UTG+1 has a stack around 3000. A lot of the bad players have already been eliminated and people are looking to double up or set traps. Given no previous information on UTG or UTG+1, what would you do if this occured?

UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold AK. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold KQ. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold KJ. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold QJ. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold AA. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold TT. Your move?
UTG/UTG+1 limps, you hold 77. Your move?

I'm curious to see what other players would do because I've been stumped many times when an early position player limps. I get caught off guard and no longer know what to do with some hands I would normally play/raise with. There have been times when I would raise and discover UTG/UTG+1 was slowplaying Jacks or Kings. Other times, I have raised and UTG/UTG+1 simply folds. Lastly, I've also seen UTG/UTG+1 limp with hands like JTs or 98s as well as pocket 4s and 5s. Any insight would help! Thanks!

Shilly
03-23-2005, 03:26 AM
This totally depends on the player. Some people don't change the way they play when the blinds rise, and they could be limping hands like suited connectors and low PPs. Or it could be AA. You can only pick up on this after watching for a while, and seeing the hands that are shown down. If a guy usually raises from EP and suddenly limps, this should set off bells and whistles in your head. If he's been limping a lot up front, raise to push him off of his weak, prospective holding. My moves would be:

AK: Push
KQ: Fold
KJ: Fold
QJ: Fold with lightning-like speed
AA: Raise to 3.5x BB, push if re-raised
TT: Raise to 3.5x BB, fold if re-raised
77: Tough one, I'd probably fold