PDA

View Full Version : Poker Movies

shaniac
10-10-2002, 09:54 AM
To quell my boredom at work, I have decided to try and name all the poker-related movies I could think of. Including movies that don't revolve around but do involve poker. 2+2ers, help me compile:

Cool Hand Luke
The Sting
The Cincinatti Kid
California Split
The Music of Chance
Rounders

Eh....pretty weak list so far. Needs some help.

shaniac

10-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Maverick

roGER
10-10-2002, 10:58 AM
"A Big Hand for the Little Lady"

- roGER

shaniac
10-10-2002, 11:02 AM
D'oh--The remake of Maverick was what got me thinking of poker movies in the first place...I caught some of it on TNT (or TBS) the other night....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the movie culminates in a poker tournament, right?

10-10-2002, 11:26 AM
The Hustler. Some book I once read put it very well. The movie is about pool not poker but it explains very well the difference between winners and losers and the concept applies perfectly to poker.

10-10-2002, 11:43 AM
First of all, I agree with Maniakk about The Hustler. In my opinion, this is the best movie about gambling I have ever seen. Obviously, it's not a poker movie, though there is one scene where Minnesota Fats' backer is playing poker, but the concepts in it apply to all forms of gambling. Anyway, another movie to check out is a movie called House of Games with Joe Montegna and the famous card mechanic Ricky Jay. Excellent movie with a good poker scene. It's more about the art of conning someone, but it's a great movie. Enjoy if you haven't seen it.

Gavin

10-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Can't think of the name of it but there was a movie w Tom Cruse in it a few years ago. The bad guy broke his cookies for a tell.Anyone remember the name.

shaniac
10-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Jerry, I think it was "Cocktail"

drewjustdrew
10-10-2002, 02:12 PM
He is thinking about rounders with matt damon, not tom cruise.
Others with poker scenes include:
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
the new Ocean's Eleven
Honeymoon in Vegas

B-Man
10-10-2002, 02:16 PM

10-10-2002, 02:30 PM
My favorite con/gambling movie, "The Sting."

PokerBabe(aka)
10-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Are u thinking of the Tom Cruise movie re: pool - the Color of Money?. With Paul Neuman?

PokerBabe(aka)
10-10-2002, 02:53 PM
House of Games is a GREAT movie. One of my favorites. Don't forget to check out the upcoming "STUEY" with Babe as an "extra". I will be (invisible) in the scene when Stu wins the WSOP. Ha,LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

shaniac
10-10-2002, 03:05 PM
No, he was thinking of Rounders--the tell was the description of the tell.

Of course the movie had nothing to do with Tom Cruise, so I thought he was just being a wise-ass and so I made the Cocktail joke.

Good list so far. Keep it up!

andyfox
10-10-2002, 03:42 PM
The W.C. Fields movie where he boisterously and confidently asks for the princely sum of "$100 worth of chips" and he gets one chip.

Was it "My Little Chickadee?"

10-10-2002, 04:59 PM
A friend high up in "The Industry" tells me there is a lot of buzz about "Stuey" -- already being talked about as Academy nominee which is amazing considering it's a small indie film not even close to release! In fact, I don't remember ever talking to this guy about a particular movie before (though he does know I'm a poker scholar, so maybe that's why he mentioned it.)

Warren Whitmore
10-10-2002, 05:30 PM
My favorite poker movie is Havanna.
Militant:What do you do for a living?
Robert Redford:I play poker.
Militant:Oh your a gambler.
Robert Redford:I try to keep the gambling part to a minimum.
Militant:And how do you manage that?
Robert Redford:By being good at it.

PokerBabe(aka)
10-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Did you see my post re Stuey entitled "Babe goes Hollywood" on this forum? 9/17/02. It's under Anonymous and there is a little sunglass icon before the title. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John Cole
10-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Okay, a couple more:

Great comedy from Preston Sturges (as if he made a bad one) The Lady Eve

and Bob le flambeur

Of course, it's been a while since I've seen either, so I can't really remember how much poker content either features, but, hell, they're two really good movies.

John

Andy B
10-11-2002, 01:18 AM
I believe that the book you refer to is Total Poker by the late David Spanier.

Andy B
10-11-2002, 01:28 AM
There was a poker tournament in the Mel Gibson/Jody Foster "Maverick." Pretty unrealistic, since I think that the first tournament was played in 1970 (I don't think there were any tournaments before the WSOP, but I've been wrong before). And if they could only get ten guys or so for a $10,000 buy-in event in the early 1970s, how the hell did they get 20 players for a $25,000 buy-in event in the nineteenth century? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The rest of the poker isn't terribly realistic, either, but it is a very funny movie.

andyfox
10-11-2002, 01:44 AM
From Sturges's script for The Lady Eve:

"A-45 CLOSE SHOT--AN ANNIHILATING PAIR OF FEET AND ANKLES WITH SOME LEG THROWN IN"

10-11-2002, 04:23 AM
You could be right, I honestly don't remember as it was a long time ago.

10-11-2002, 04:27 AM
And I agree with you about the House of Games. Fantastic movie. They just don't make 'em like that any more. Great poker scene, great surprise ending, great everything!

andyfox
10-11-2002, 12:03 PM
I agree, wonderfully entertaining movie, but Mamet still does make 'em like that: have you seen Heist or The Spanish Prisoner? I loved 'em both, and Mamet's a better move maker now than he was when he directed House of Games.

shogun
10-11-2002, 01:09 PM
I heard there was a movie called "The Big Blind" that was supposed to be coming out. Is that true? Did it get shelved or what?

10-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Andy,

John here, at work. Now where did you find THAT? It's wonderful.

Casey
10-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Not a poker movie per se but one of the best movies witha gambling theme is Hard Eight. The scene where the grizzled gambling veteran explains to the newbie on how to get comps is one of the best scenes in any movie.

andyfox
10-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Great biography of Struges called "Between Flops" by James Curtis. I got mine about 20 years ago, but it's just been reissued, $22.95 at Barnes and Noble.com.

baggins
10-12-2002, 05:06 AM
has a scene that is pretty cool, and involves poker. they are sitting around, discussing movies, and how everybody rips everybody off. and then proceeds to rip off some of the coolest signature bits of some of the coolest movies. pretty dope. also, always double down on 11. always.

JustSomeJackass
10-13-2002, 01:29 PM
In "Revenge of the Nerds", when Booger is playing poker with that Chinese (or whatever) nerd. "I fink I have a frush".... "What the f*** is a frush?"

And in Stripes, with John Candy "teaching" the other soldier how to play poker. Where he looks at the other guy's cards and said "Go on...bluff me....that's right...I'm in too!" and then proceeds to take all of his money (money he later spent to mud wrestle a bunch of women).

It has been a while since I have seen either movie, so I don't remember specific lines or character names...but everybody that has seen these movies should remember.

JSJ

10-14-2002, 08:27 AM
I did see them. Liked the Heist, honestly though I just couldn't get into Spanish Prisoner. House of Games still my favorite Mamet of all time:)

10-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Rounders thats right thanks I liked The sting also. Alot of people where I live think I remind them of Paul Newman