PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this call?

Fryguy
03-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Was playing in a small tournament, NL, $5 buyin(paradise poker). I have A8s from the button. 1 caller in front of me, I give a decent size raise, and end up headsup with the BB. Flop comes unsuited rags, I have 2 overcards, decide to check-raise, which probably wasn't the smart play since being in the BB and calling for cheap the rags could have hit him, so he reraises me and I call.
4th street comes an ace, and I bet it. I get reraised all in and think for a moment. At this point I have him pegged for playing top pair on the flop, or making a read that I'm buying the pot. I think for a bit, and call. Turns out he DID have top pair on the flop, and an ace to give him two-pair. I don't catch an 8 on the river, and I'm out of the tournament.

What would you have done here? Would you have called the all-in? Would you have check-raised the flop, and bet the ace?

emonrad87
03-23-2005, 01:49 AM
I probably would have folded preflop, but you really don't give enough info to be able to tell you.

Also, this should be posted in the tourneys forum.

pzhon
03-23-2005, 01:55 AM
You may get more advice in the MTT forum. You should include stack sizes and the sizes of the bets.

It is impossible to check-raise from the button. Do you mean you decided to walk into the BB's check-raise?

I would limp, fold, or push preflop. There was a limper in front of you, so A8s should not look like a real hand to you. It's fine to raise on the button with it if there were no limpers.

Bet/fold on the flop. You could easily have only 3 outs, but you don't know which 3 are good, and you might be drawing dead.

When you are check-raised all in on the turn, fold again unless it is only a trivial amount to call, or a small amount and there is a big draw that could be semi-bluffing.

Spike an 8 on the river.

tripdad
03-24-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It is impossible to check-raise from the button. Do you mean you decided to walk into the BB's check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

that is all.

cheers!