PDA

View Full Version : Stupid computer ? - sound through external CD-ROM / headphones

JinX11
03-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Ok, so I'm now resorting to 2+2 OOT for PC tech support.

I have an external CD-ROM; it has a headphones plugin. I put a music CD in the CD-ROM; I plug a pair of almost new Sennheiser HD-590s (thanks, to those who rec'd these bad ass headphones) into the outlet...no sound through headphones. Sound continues to come through the computer speakers.

Additionally, the sound card also has a headphones jack, but besides being inconvenient to reach the back of the computer, even with headphones plugged in, sound continues to come out of the computer speakers.

Went through Sound settings in Control Panel...didn't see anything....

Ideas?

Leo99
03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Ok, you've got two issues. 1. There is a wheel to control the volume on the front of the CD player that controls the headphone volume if you plug directly into the CD player. Play with the wheel until you get sound in headphones. No sound would mean your CD player is broken. 2. Plugging headphones into sound card or front of CD player will not stop sound coming from speakers. You need to plug headphones into headphone jack directly on the speaker(s) themselves is the speakers have such a jack.

JinX11
03-23-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. There is a wheel to control the volume on the front of the CD player that controls the headphone volume if you plug directly into the CD player. Play with the wheel until you get sound in headphones. No sound would mean your CD player is broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Played with wheel. No sound. CD-ROM reads CD fine; sends audio to sound card, so it cant be all bad.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to plug headphones into headphone jack directly on the speaker(s) themselves is the speakers have such a jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!!! Didnt think speakers had a jack....found it. You get the prize.