PDA

View Full Version : J9 in BB, flops trips

gorgeous
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 ($106.15)
MP1 ($49)
MP2 ($39.3)
MP3 ($79.8)
CO ($36.8)
Button ($51.1)
SB ($89.2)
Hero ($49.25)
UTG ($20)
UTG+1 ($20.6)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.75) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, UTG+2 calls $5, CO calls $3.25.

Turn: ($16.75) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $30</font>, CO folds, Hero raises $28.75 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $13.75.

River: ($104.25) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $104.25

Play this any other way?

stankybank
03-22-2005, 11:21 PM
I bet the flop.

It's a tough laydown on the turn because you don't have much money left but I highly suspect you were beat. Just one of those thangs in NL poker...

Xyeej
03-22-2005, 11:46 PM
I c/r the flop also.

The turn minraise is scary. You have 40% of your stack committed. In the past, this was an insta-push for me, even though it looks like you're beaten, but lately I've been starting to reevaluate things. This is a leak of mine and prob many others here, calling when you are sure you're beaten. I've been pondering these situations and I think I might fold here.

I'm not suggesting you fold here everytime, but maybe there is a balance/some sort of optimal frequeny of calling down and folding. I really need to actually sit down and think it through good. This may be a tangent of some sort but hopefully it will inspire some sort of philosophizing on your part.

blah.

swolfe
03-23-2005, 10:13 AM
bet the flop...your kicker is no good.

PinkSteel
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I bet the flop and likely call down from there.

I agree w/ Xyeej, I'm afraid this is a leak for me too. But at PP $25NL I've seen too many players take Villain's line and then showdown a pocket pair. So of course it's read-dependent, but unless he ruins my odds with a push or close, I probably call down.

pottie
03-23-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why this is a better play. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marnixvdb
03-23-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by check/raising the flop you are committing a larger portion of your stack while getting less information about his hand. Hence to bet the flop is better (and cheaper). His reaction will tell you more about his hand while laying the hand down to more show of strength from him becomes easier. It's a way of controlling the pot size. He may even call down lesser hands, not believing you'd bet out with trips.

RainFall
03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
I definitely bet this flop. on the turn minraise you have to think what your opponent plays that you could beat.. which is pretty much a diamond draw or a pure bluff ( doing this with a pocket pair is a pure bluff in my mind)

Hands you are ahead of J8,J6,J5,J4. Thats about it. Who plays those in his position? Very unlikely is underfull as well, but if he did, heplays it like a retard. i would say he had J-big and you are going to lose to kicker trouble.

swolfe
03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

check-raising the flop builds a big pot with a hand that is not really all that strong. AJ, KJ, QJ, JT are all common limper hands that have you beat. if you bet and are raised, then you're really going to want to show down as cheaply as possible...that means trying to manage the pot (which you can't do since you're OOP).

once you check-raise and are called by UTG+2 and the original better, do you really think that you're still ahead here? when you bet out on the turn and are min-raised by UTG+2, there's almost no chance that you have the best hand. your play represented a very strong hand, so what does he have to have that he's going to get his stack in the middle with?

and when i say "you", i mean the OP, of course...

anyway, betting out buys you information. it lets you see who is interested in the pot and can potentially take it down right there. trips with a 9 kicker isn't a hand i want to put my stack in with...