PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a 160 to 250 GB external hard drive

bdk3clash
03-22-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm looking to buy an external hard drive with 160 to 250 GB of storage. Any recommendations? Should I be looking for Firewire or Firewire+USB 2.0 and not USB 2.0 only?

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Get the Firewire too...its just so much more pleasant.

edtost
03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
externals are a waste of money, get an internal drive and a case.

bdk3clash
03-22-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
externals are a waste of money, get an internal drive and a case.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a tiny-ass tower that I am pretty sure is out of room for a new internal HD, and the portability of an external HD is appealing.

Let's assume I'm looking for an external only.

Any thoughts on this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B0000DIFGJ/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0/104-0459818-8355953?%5Fencoding=UTF8&index=0#gallery)? It's an early frontrunner.

MtnDave
03-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Externals are not a waste. I use one for backups.

Get firewire. Most external drives have two firewire ports and you can dual port the drive to two machines (only tried this on XP Pro).

Firewire is also hot swapable and you don't have the unmount hassles of USB (on XP).

You can make a really cheap Oracle RAC (cluster) using an external firewire drive and two Linux boxes.

edtost
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
::sigh:: an internal drive in a case functions as an external drive, while costing much less than the drive+case combo that is usually sold as an 'external drive'.

MtnDave
03-22-2005, 11:29 PM
I agree. I wait for Fry's to have a sale on the cases, then stuff in a hard drive also bought on sale. I have switched all my exteral drives to firewire and got rid of the USB boxes.

thirddan
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
i just got a lacie 500gb big disk...it [censored] rules...and its super fast...

plaster8
03-23-2005, 01:40 AM
I just bought a SimpleTech 250GB external (Fireware/USB 2.0) on Costco.com for $179.99. And I think it has a $30 rebate now.

I've had no problems so far in a couple weeks' use.

gaming_mouse
03-23-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
::sigh:: an internal drive in a case functions as an external drive, while costing much less than the drive+case combo that is usually sold as an 'external drive'.

[/ QUOTE ]

so ed,

how would go about building one, or buying one?

i'm interested too, but want to do it as cheaply as possible.

mason55
03-23-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so ed,

[/ QUOTE ]

buy an external hdd enclosure that takes ide or sata, depeneding on what you want. buy sata or ide drive. insert into case. plug firewire into computer. light firewire on fire for maximal transfer speeds.

SackUp
03-23-2005, 05:37 AM
I have a Lacie 250gb external and it rocks. Got it for like 150 back in November so probably even cheaper now.

BusterStacks
03-23-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so ed,

[/ QUOTE ]

the homebuilt ones run pretty hot compared to the ones specifically designed for external usage.

gaming_mouse
04-15-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so ed,

[/ QUOTE ]

the homebuilt ones run pretty hot compared to the ones specifically designed for external usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just found this old thread as I'm actually about to buy one now (as in the next day or two). Can someone explain to me in more detail what I should be buying? Online retailers where I can buy it?

TIA,
gm

Blarg
04-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I got a Western Digital 160 gig 7200 rpm external hard disk. It plugs in via either firewire or USB, and nicely enough has cables for both. I keep pokertracker on it, and it made my system much faster to have pokertracker separate. Plus, I like that I will still have all my current PT records if my main hard drive fries or whatever.

I'd recommend it. It doesn't run hot and isn't loud, and is plenty speedy enough. Frys and Outpost.com and Newegg have external HD's on sale a lot. It probably won't be too much of a problem to find one on sale somewhere.