PDA

View Full Version : I hated throwing this one away...

nef
03-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.

This is another example of the old, "if I had only bet the turn I wouldn't be looking at two cold!"

I considered raising pre-flop, but this time I called. I of course was planning on check-raising the turn. I folded because it looked like it would cost me 3 big bets to get to showdown. I could be looking at a straight, a set, two pair, a bluff, or an aggressive KJ. After some analysis it seems to be closer to a call than I thought while playing. What say you?

einbert
03-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Raise PF, bet the turn. With only one limper this is pretty much a mustraise PF in my eyes.

Don't bet the flop since you didn't raise PF. Check and fold most likely, since you will only be getting about 5-1.

As you played it, a fold is fine.

CallMeIshmael
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise PF, bet the turn. With only one limper this is pretty much a mustraise PF in my eyes.

Don't bet the flop since you didn't raise PF. Check and fold most likely, since you will only be getting about 5-1.

As you played it, a fold is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick C
03-22-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop bet is all right, and I certainly prefer it to check-folding. Hero has overcards and a gutshot. That's not such a bad hand, and there's some chance a flop bet will take the pot immediately (which would be all right) versus just one limper and the BB.

Getting raised on the flop isn't really so awful either. Hero does have a number of ways to improve.

vector2
03-23-2005, 12:08 AM
The flop bet wasn't horrible, but you should've led out on the turn instead of checking. MP1 could easily be raising the BB with a K, lower kicker. Not to mention if you get raised on the turn, you still have a gutshot to fall back upon.

ewile
03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Flop: I really don't understand why you bet out. The pot is tiny so you don't have odds for your overcards and gutshot draw. I'd really consider check/folding here. But if I do decide to play on I don't want to risk getting raised so I'd check/call.

Turn: In my opinion you got monsters under the bed syndrome here. You've got to call this and showdown this hand.

adamstewart
03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
imagine how differently this hand would have played, had you raised preflop.....

Adam

Nick C
03-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Preflop: Although I do often complete (or check) when I have KQo in the blinds, I think you should raise a single limper. Actually, though, it sounds like that's what you usually do.

Flop: I like the bet. While it's true that the T9 on the board could have hit MP1's limping hand, there is just that one limper. So while I wouldn't bet into a field that is much larger, I do think betting is good here, when you consider your chances of taking the pot right here and also your chances of improving to the best hand. (Also, there is some chance you have the best hand right now.) And then calling the raise seemes easy enough.

Turn: While checkraising is a way to protect your hand here, the pot is small enough that I'm not sure you really need to try to face MP1 with two cold. I think I'd just lead and see if he wants to call with the flop raiser still to act.

Once you do check, though, I think the fold is fine. I'm thinking MP1 probably has, or just made, two pair or better. Possibly you have a lot of outs, and possibly you have 3 outs to a chop. You're only getting about 4:1, though, not closing the action, and I don't think you'll have the best hand right now very often, though it is true that a hand like KJo is possible. All the same, MP1 has encountered bets from two different players, and all he's done so far postflop is raise, so I think giving him credit for a hand you don't want to draw against is all right.

Harv72b
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Much, much easier with reads on your opponents.

Preflop has been done to death; other than that, nice hand. I like betting out here on the flop...you are going to call a bet, so make it yourself against BB and 1 limper. You might take the pot right away, it might enable you to bluff your way to it, etc...it sucks to get raised, but not too badly with your solid draw.

I would also have attempted a c/r on the turn, and folded when it was 2 cold. I have serious doubts at that point that you are ahead, and it's very possible that you're drawing to 3 outs for a chop.

nef
03-23-2005, 12:51 AM
My flop bet is basically a textbook semi-bluff. If there is &gt; 25% chance that both my opponents will fold I make money even on a stone bluff. Also, with 4 outs to the nuts, and 6 possibly good outs to top pair, this % chance doesnt need to be as high because I still have good a shot to win when called. Also, against 1 limper and a BB that only checked, I am going to have the best hand some small % of the time.

On the turn I think it is a close call given my chances of improving, but this doesn't really seem like a bluffing situation for the raiser. I don't think my hand is good very often in this situation.