PDA

View Full Version : the vodka martini

Tyler Durden
03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I like to get one of these when I go out or I get one w/ dinner. I get them extra dirty. Is that gay? Or is it socially acceptable? One of my d-bag acquaintances said a vodka martini isn't a real martini, it should be made w/ gin. I like olives tho, so getting them extra dirty means I don't have to deal w/ it being wicked strong and not tasting good.

Thoughts?

The Yugoslavian
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Order a white russian instead.

Yugoslav

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Order a white russian instead.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's gay.

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
There is no such thing as a vodka martini.

It is somewhat like saying a Granny Smith Orange.

stankybank
03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't think its gay at all. It shows some class to know what kind of drinks you like and to order them w/o fear of people mocking you. Now if you start ordering some fruity drink that sounds very girly.....

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True but only a nit really cares. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
A gin drinking nit, at that.

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A gin drinking nit, at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't drink martinis of any sort...not because it's gay but because i just don't like them. But hey, if James Bond says there's such a thing as a vodka martini that's good enough for me.

SmileyEH
03-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Drinking something because other people say its cool is gay. Sup bro drinks grain alcohol by the 40, doesn't mean you should try it.

-SmileyEH

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drinking something because other people say its cool is gay. Sup bro drinks grain alcohol by the 40, doesn't mean you should try it. -SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But that's different. That's just because only sup bro can handle it. it would knock any of the rest of us for a loss.

jar
03-22-2005, 10:42 PM
My name is jar, and I'm a gin swilling nit.

mason55
03-22-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My name is mason55, and I'm a gin swilling nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand why they can't just call it something besides a martini if it's got vodka? nothing wrong with drinking it, it's just not a martini.

i like my gin martinis dirty (not extra dirty though). that part isn't gay, you're still drinking a glass of straight alcohol, with just a splash of olive juice. most of the time i'll just drink an extra dry gin martini though.

Civiliste
03-22-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't think that knowing what you want says anything about you except that you are decisive.

I actually enjoy gin, when mixed with sweetened lime juice, on the rocks (it's called a Gimlet). I tasted a gin martini once, and couldn't STAND it. Doesn't, IMHO (though I'm sure someone will disagree), say anything about me except that I don't have a taste for drinking perfume (which is what straight gin tastes like).

gamblore99
03-22-2005, 10:47 PM
what does dirty mean when reffering to a martini?

Tyler Durden
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It means olive juice is added to the drink.

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Dryness refers to the amount of vermouth (ie, Very Dry---almost exclusively gin). Dirtiness refers to the amount of brine from the olive juice.

jar
03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
What really pisses me off is when they call something a martini which contains neither gin nor vermouth. It's getting to the point where restaurant menus use the word martini interchangably with the word cocktail.

I hate olives in my martinis, because the last sip has that nasty olive brine flavor. I much prefer the lemon twist. The twist adds a lot of the same things to the drink that orange bitters does. Orange bitters used to be in the martini recipe, but most people haven't even heard of it any more. The little bit of citrus acidity and bitterness really improves the flavor in my opinion. Also, don't be afraid of vermouth. Cocktails are all about a balance of flavors.

I like
2 oz gin (Sapphire or Citadelle, usually)
1/2 oz dry vermouth (Noilly Prat usually)
2 dashes Fee Bros Orange bitters (lemon twist if I'm out, bitters at home)

stir with lots of ice, strain into cocktail glass.

mason55
03-22-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You put some juice from a jar of green olives into the martini. Olive juice is so strong it can completely mask the flavor of the gin with only a little bit. Thus you're still drinking a glass of straight 80 proof liquor, but it doesn't taste like it.

I like mine so I can taste the gin with a hint of olive.

slickpoppa
03-22-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It is somewhat like saying a Granny Smith Orange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what James Bond called them?

mason55
03-22-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What really pisses me off is when they call something a martini which contains neither gin nor vermouth. It's getting to the point where restaurant menus use the word martini interchangably with the word cocktail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like an Apple Martini? Grr very frustrating.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate olives in my martinis, because the last sip has that nasty olive brine flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I stir my martini before each sip so that doesn't happen. I like the taste of olives though so it's no biggie for me.

I'll have to try the orange bitters thing though.

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I like juniper, thusly I like gin, but your preferences are fine. Gimlets are hot too. Gin is just wonderful stuff. I'll go pour myself another glass of tanqueray now---a "super" dry martini, if you will.

Ulysses
03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
extra dirty vodka martini

haha
hahaha
haha

morgan180
03-23-2005, 12:18 AM
get it with grey goose or with kettle one and extra extra dry and it is the smoothest drink out there.

dirty is excellent - just don't do it because you feel like you have too.

morgan180
03-23-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed its like anything that goes in a "martini" glass is now a martini...

astroglide
03-23-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha
hahaha
haha

[/ QUOTE ]

i never liked your new gimmick, but it's like it's all been working up to this moment in this little thread right here. excellent.

Ulysses
03-23-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha
hahaha
haha

[/ QUOTE ]

i never liked your new gimmick, but it's like it's all been working up to this moment in this little thread right here. excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. if this one gets out, i'm a little worried people might just stop writing poems altogether.

Toro
03-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Never tried one until last Summer when I saw my buddies gf drinking one and I asked for a sip. Now it's my favorite drink.

Grey Goose, straight up, slightly dirty, olives, rocks on the side is the way I like it. And don't give a fcku if anyone thinks it's gay.

Shajen
03-23-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never tried one until last Summer when I saw my buddies gf drinking one and I asked for a sip. Now it's my favorite drink.

Grey Goose, straight up, slightly dirty, olives, rocks on the side is the way I like it. And don't give a fcku if anyone thinks it's gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minus the rocks and I agree. People are so funny. IT IS SO NOT A MARTINI. Whatever man, it's not feeding the homeless. It's a [censored] drink.

asofel
03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a great drink, it can actually give me a little buzz after a few whereas beer has lost that ability, and its definitely still a martini...

Ulysses
03-23-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the rocks on the side?

Toro
03-23-2005, 04:13 PM
When they mix the drink they put rocks in the shaker. Then they pour it into a glass sans rocks but the rocks have a fair amount of vodka stuck to them. So when I'm finished the vodka in the glass, I get a little bonus sip from the vodka in the rocks glass.

That's what I use it for, I don't know about others.

KJS
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Dairy products with your alcohol? Too gross.

KJS

KaiShin
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm more of a classic gin martini person myself.

Mmmmmmm, gin. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HDPM
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm more of a classic gin martini person myself.

Mmmmmmm, gin. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't El D make it clear that "gin martini" is redundant?

KaiShin
03-23-2005, 05:02 PM
These days, when you go into a bar and order a martini, the waitress is liable to ask "What kind?". It might have been redundant before, but its not anymore.

However my phrase "classic gin martini" is certainly a candidate for the department of redundancy department.

Boris
03-23-2005, 05:11 PM
"Ode on Vodka Martini"