PDA

View Full Version : 14k hand downswing, please make it stop

CostaRicaBill
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
New to 5/10 6max, started off ok with some moderate swings, but over my last 14k hands I just can't win. While I have been taking some god awful magically delicious beats, I've come to suspect that bad play might be part of the problem.

I think one of my problems is blind play, I'm losing quite a bit there, I know I'm not defending my big blind enough, this would also bring my total VP$P up a little. I think I was also completing too liberally in the small blind. It looks like I also might be trying to steal a little too much.

Blind Stats:
BB VP$P: 20.83
Losing .19 here
SB VP$P: 35.64
Losing .12 here

I would appreciate it if you guys could take a quick look at my stats and see if anything else stands out. Please, help me win again!

http://img230.exs.cx/img230/8199/stats7jn.th.gif (http://img230.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img230&image=stats7jn.gif)

wuarhg
03-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Everything looks O.K (generally). Maybe you should think about calling down more. Hey, you're +, I played 30k and was still in the red, and didn't do well after 40k hands either. I've just started running a bit better after 50k hands.

6-max rulZ tho.

STLantny
03-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Im not a pokertracker expert. But it looks to me like you are +500$ over the last 14k hands??? As someoene who just went through a 300+ bb downswing over 18k hands, I can say, its just variance, most likely. Dont complete your as much in the 2/5 game though.....and im interested to hear what everyones Went to showdown % is, mine is a tad more at 35%.

low content
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
If you're gonna brag, man, just do it. If my downswings were this bad, I'd be quitting my day job.

CostaRicaBill
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys, always good to hear downswing horror stories worse than your's from winning players. I am winning a paltry amount but have been going downward since about 13k hands ago.

I'm still struggling to figure out which hands I should be defending in the bb with. I feel like I'm defending with all but my weakest hands (T2o, 43o, etc...) but my VP$P is still low there. What would you guys defend with from a open raise from the button or SB? What about if the SB calls the button raise? Thanks

STLantny
03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
YOU ARE NOT IN A DOWNSWING /images/graemlins/wink.gif when you go -bb/100 for more than a few k hands THAT is a downswing. But, I dont think your VPIP is necassarily low, mine hovers between 19-22% I think. And you should be a stickler for not defending your SB much, or your BB, with other ppl besides the raiser in the pot. If SB is in the hand, Ill call with a lot of suited connectors getting 5:1 on em, and pp, and my premium hands etc. SB raises I am a little more liberal with, 3 betting A6-7 or higher depending, and 3 betting low pocket pairs, and some other hands. BUT Id also like to hear more experienced posters, as I only have about 65k hands.

Zygote
03-22-2005, 08:53 PM
if you want to have a good winrate while still paying off the rake you must improve your play. You are good player, but not an optimal one.
-You steal the blinds way to much. bring it down to 33-34 max! (make sure you find out the correct and profitable stealing hands, don't just bring down your stats)
-You are too loose in the SB postflop, but should defend it slightly more preflop.
-you should be a little more aggressive on the flop turn and river.

You can make other little changes but these are the ones that stand out. With these changes effectively made, i speculate that you should be profitable.

CostaRicaBill
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
How do you mean to loose in the SB postflop? I'm calling down to the river too much here when obviously beaten?

As for defending my small blind, I almost never cold call a raise but will reraise with hands like A9s, QJs, ATo and almost any pocket pair. I will cold call if say cutoff raises and button cold calls with hands like KQo, AJo.

Nikla
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-You steal the blinds way to much. bring it down to 33-34 max! (make sure you find out the correct and profitable stealing hands, don't just bring down your stats)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

Zygote
03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

You are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, okay, and why is that?

Zygote
03-23-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How do you mean to loose in the SB postflop? I'm calling down to the river too much here when obviously beaten?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know specifcally, you can only learn so much from stats. Replay a bunch of your hands is all i can suggest.

[ QUOTE ]

As for defending my small blind, I almost never cold call a raise but will reraise with hands like A9s, QJs, ATo and almost any pocket pair. I will cold call if say cutoff raises and button cold calls with hands like KQo, AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truthfully, your sample is way too small to make accurate criticism with this and most of your issues.

If you want my last 20,000 hands to see what profitable stats look like, i'll post them for you, just ask.

CostaRicaBill
03-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Sure, post them if you don't mind. Thanks

lefty rosen
03-23-2005, 12:29 AM
What is your stealing standards? I go jack 9 off on a normal player. If it's a rock or ultrarock any two. If they give heat back I fold on the pre-flop reraise unless I have something. Trying to force 5/4 off is suicide against a monkey.....

lefty rosen
03-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Maybe your not opponent specific enough. If a mossy rock raises I don't even bother with ace ten off it leads to a world of [censored] if the rock is willing to call down an ace and face........

Zygote
03-23-2005, 12:49 AM
here my last 20k as requested:

http://img190.exs.cx/img190/3352/last20k7ou.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Nikla
03-23-2005, 09:09 AM
32% ASB frequency is simply too tight. Your 22% VPIP is not optimal either. Your winrate is decent however, which leads me to believe you're not maximizing your expectatation with your current style of play.

Trix
03-23-2005, 10:09 AM
I´m vpip 26, pfr 19, ASB almost 39 for my last 5K hands, am I on the right track ?

Rico Suave
03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I´m vpip 26, pfr 19, ASB almost 39 for my last 5K hands, am I on the right track ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trix:

I have seen you other stat posts, and they seem more in line with what my stats have been in comparison to others here in HUSH. I know you have made a concerted effort to LAG it up lately....I was just curious how is it going? And what are the major adjustments you are making to loosen up?

--Rico

Trix
03-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Actually I just play alot more all around. I didnt limp much at all before, now I overlimp some and limp after 2 limpers much more.

I defend my BB a bit more, getting crushed there though, so may have to tighen up a bit there.

I´ve loosen up a ton in the SB when it´s unraised, thats probably the biggest change.

My hand chart used to be only the hands I wanted to open very often, now it´s everything I wanna play even 1-2% in whatever spot, which force me to think about the situations instead of just playing "abc".

I´ll make a post when I get to 10K hands with the new style and talk more there, but so far its going very well.

Turning Stone Pro
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
I hate to sound so crude, but for God's sake, stop relying on these ridiculous stats and learn how to play the game.

PT stats are ok for experienced, knowledgeable players who are looking for some extra advantage and insight into the idiosyncracies of their opposition.

For beginning players to believe that mastering these statistics will make them winning players, especially at 6 max or short-handed, is absolutely ridiculous.

TSP

Zygote
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
32% ASB frequency is simply too tight

[/ QUOTE ]

again, what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are simply wrong. if you think otherwise, what evidence do you have of this? why do you say this?

[ QUOTE ]
Your 22% VPIP is not optimal either

[/ QUOTE ]

minor, minor problem, if not even just because of my small smaple. not worht much moeny to increase effectively, but i will work on it later on to make a few extra bucks here and thre. btw, do you play 5/10??

lefty rosen
03-24-2005, 01:36 AM
I agree playing your opponent is way more important for most opponents I can put a tape over my screen and play them(at the low limits as they are so predictable)...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif