PDA

View Full Version : wafflehouse: yea or nay

M2d
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
I've never seen one of these establishments. we don't have them in san mateo or hawaii. I've seen a lot of references to them in popular culture, though (on the food network, Tincup, etc).

is this place any good? if I ever make it to the mid-south (anything with a latitude north of hawaii), should I seek one out?

Macdaddy Warsaw
03-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Um...I forget where I saw them (I think in the South) and I never bothered to venture into one because they look pretty crappy.

chaas4747
03-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Very good drunk or hangover food. Other than that....Meh.

astroglide
03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
sure. if you like bright yellow, the dredges of humanity, and filthy restaurants.

1337 skills
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Yea!

I have a friend who's family eats there for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner every year.

wacki
03-22-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea!

I have a friend who's family eats there for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.filmfacts.de/grafic/gif/southpark_kenn.gif

1337 skills
03-22-2005, 07:21 PM
You guessed it!

beerbandit
03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
greasy breakfasts are their specialty

go there when youre drunk and it the best meal ever, look at the food with a non-squirrel eye and you might not like it so well

try not to look at anyone working there also

cheers

HDPM
03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
It is really bad food, but you must go. Hashbrowns are the specialty. Do not ever order a steak. But waffle houses are cool.

groo
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
nay nay stay away

moondogg
03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hashbrowns are the specialty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm. Double-covered-and-smothered. Best damn hashbrowns I've ever had.

Rob Blackburn
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Its typical run of the mill diner food.

They are famous for a variety of reasons mostly because in the southeast there is one on every corner. Where my brother went to college in SC there were two resturants in the town, both Waffle Houses on either side of the highway.

I really like the hasbrowns, and they have pretty good sweet tea.

A Texas Cheesesteak platter PWNS at 3am and your drunker than a skunk.

I say go in get a hashbrown if you ever find yourself around one, just to say you have. Play a couple of Waffle House tunes on the jukebox and watch the haggard waitresss sing along, get a good laugh and move on.

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
1) this has been done before.

2) it ain't called awfulhouse for nuthin.

siccjay
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Waffle House is awesome.

Civiliste
03-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Drunk food only! Don't ever try to go there sober. I don't know why the [censored] they even stay open from 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM. They could really raise the bottom line by closing during the hours that most people are sober... seriously.

cnfuzzd
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
used to manage one. Not bad, but really close. Its important to *know* the waffle house you are going in. I recommend never just stopping at a random waffle house, since it could either be perfectly clean, or a disgusting cesspool of humanity. The best way to scout out is to stop in for some black coffee, as waffle house coffee is really pretty decent, and cheap. Look around. If it looks dirty, it probably is. remember though that you are essentially looking *inside* the kitchen when you look on the other side of the counter, and most restaurant kitchens typically look pretty nasty. The important thing is to check for handwashing, cross contamination, and ensuring that no one is tweaking at the moment. For what its worth, i enjoyed waffle house food tremendously if i knew who was cooking it, and working there was great fun, as they didnt drug test, and generally didnt mind if i drank/got high on 3rd shift. Yay!!!!

peace

john nickle

Shajen
03-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Mr $.05 is correct.

scattered, covered, smothered, and chunked.

Bacon egg and cheese sandwich. Only when really drunk and a ways from the house. It'll sober you up some.