PDA

View Full Version : Am I a fish for putting in a 3rd raise with AQo?

betgo
03-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Step 2, level 2. I open miniraise with AQo to 60. 3rd position calls. 4th position LAG biggest stack (T1400) raises to 200. I push, he calls with JJ. I win the hand with a pair of aces.

He berates me for the next 5 minutes for going allin with AQ. He says I must have bought in directly, as I couldn't have won a step 1.

He would up busting out much later pushing from early position on my BB with K3s. He knew I had the chip lead with two players advancing, and I probably wouldn't call despite 2-1 pot odds. Unfortunately, someone else had a real hand.

adanthar
03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Third raise very bad
Minraising is much much worse
Two preflop folds here

(The LAG behind you
Will reraise your AQ raise lots
That is pretty bad)

wuwei
03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Third raise very bad
Two preflop folds here

(The LAG behind you
That is pretty bad)

[/ QUOTE ]

uh oh... it's catchy.

oh bother.

Seadood228
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Am I a fish for putting in a 3rd raise with AQo?

- Not really. If you think your hand is best against the LAG and you have decent folding equity, it's not bad. Not sure I'd do it though given the structure of the tourney. In a winner-take all or a top heavy tourney it'd be much more justified IMO.

I'm not too fond of the pfr though.

Bigwig
03-22-2005, 07:01 PM
If you're going to open with AQ, don't mini-raise. This is not a hand to do that with. Mini-raising is good for two things:

1. Building pots
2. Inducing a bluff

Do you really want to build a big pot with AQ? Only if your flop is something like: AQ4, QQ8, KJT, etc.

And do want someone to come over the top?

I think the clear answer is no to both.

Limping with AQo early is fine. But fold to strength.

Opening with AQo early is also fine in an MTT. But the same rules apply when facing a reraise. And by opening I mean a 3-5BB raise, ESPECIALLY from EP.

EarlCat
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He berates me for the next 5 minutes for going allin with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about this. Good players don't give lessons at the table.

betgo
03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry about this. Good players don't give lessons at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know that. He called allin with JJ, which isn't that much better a hand. A lot of times when people berate you about a play it is a good play that put them in a bad position.

I just posted this because it was an interesting story and there might be some discussion about how I played this hand.

morgan180
03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
1. Haiku is taking over
2. I would probably fold this in EP on level 2 but then again I'm a weak [censored]
3. otherwise i'd call the raise and see a flop before making my next move.

betgo
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to open with AQ, don't mini-raise. This is not a hand to do that with. Mini-raising is good for two things:

1. Building pots
2. Inducing a bluff

Do you really want to build a big pot with AQ? Only if your flop is something like: AQ4, QQ8, KJT, etc.

Opening with AQo early is also fine in an MTT. But the same rules apply when facing a reraise. And by opening I mean a 3-5BB raise, ESPECIALLY from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is good advice on playing AQo UTG.

Bigwig
03-22-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Building pots
2. Inducing a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is good advice on playing AQo UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not UTG? It sure looks like it based on your post.

betgo
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not UTG? It sure looks like it based on your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am UTG. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I liked the analysis. I thought you could raise or limp UTG with AQo, so I thought miniraising was a good compromise, but you explained why it was not. I can also see that from the situation I got in with this hand.

John Hurst
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I can't imagine a scenario where I would minraise UTG in an early round. Minraising is not a good compromise move especially from early position.

citanul
03-22-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Third raise very bad
Two preflop folds here

(The LAG behind you
That is pretty bad)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might
have to give diablo