PDA

View Full Version : A Players Rhythm

Noo Yawk
10-09-2002, 09:33 PM
Music is based on 3 elements. Melody, haromony and rhythm. The only element that can never be comprimised is the rhythm of a song. You can hit a bad note and still get through the song without the listener being to distracted, but if you sacrifice the beat, the song is essentially ruined.
People are very sensitive to ryhthms. Your pulse, the earth revolving, the ticking of a clock, etc. You won't notice anything unless the tempo is broken.
Having said that, I believe most of the reads we pick up on a player, or players pick up on us, has to do with a break in a betting tempo. The hesitant check that tells us we are going to be check-raised. The quick call that screams draw. It's the player whose actions are smooth and precise every hand they're in that has us confused. Lately I've been looking for these rhytms in players betting, rather than looking for other classic tells, and found it to be the most effective method of reading players. The break in tempo means different things for different players, so don't assume anything until you've found each individuals rhythm and betting patterns. It is also important to realize that other players will notice this break in tempo on you as well. They may not know why, but the innate human sensitivity to rhythm will be picked up.
I was curious if any other posters picked up on these type of reads, or others like them. If this has all been said before, my apologies for being redundant. If not, I hope it helps.

Jedi Poker
10-09-2002, 10:18 PM
I hear you. Seeing changes in another's rythm is a very good way to get a feel for his unconscious signals of congruencies and incongruencies. We all have been doing this throughout our lives at an unconscious (that is, intuitive) level. We just knew the salesman was lying. We just knew a criminal on TV was guilty. We just knew the auto mechanic, the lawyer, the plumber was withholding important info from us. We just knew the early position raiser was betting with an AK all the way to the river when the board was rainbow rags.

By being more deliberate and conscious in our acts of seeing changes in another person's blink rates, breathing rates (and breathing source - that is, whether it comes high from his chest or low in his abdomen), swallowing rate, betting speed, etc. we become able to operationalize this formerly intuitive skill at the conscious level. Practice, practice, practice. Have an eye of an eagle, the ear of a hound, quite the internal dialogue, push aside the inner pictures, and just pay attention. These things do exist.

Al Schoonmaker
10-10-2002, 08:36 PM
You have raised a subject that is well worth systematic treatment. In fact, if you could give a clearer, more organized picture of the things to look for and their probable significance, I'm fairly confident some magazine or Ezine would publish it.

In other words, tell us more. We're interested.

Al

PokerBabe(aka)
10-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Yes, New Yawk, this is a very interesting topic. Your concept of "game and player rhythm" reminds me of a trader named Linda Raschke who describes "the music of the markets" and who uses the "rhythm" of the market to trade. I would like to hear more as you develop your thesis. Babe

SittingBull
10-12-2002, 06:28 AM
I viewed Mike Caro's video and it in ,he depicks the plays of two Pro's heads-up.
At the showdown,Player1 holds some chips and is getting ready to bet while Player2 picks up his chips at the same time --apparently indicating that he would call the bet.
However,Player2 was forcing a break in the betting tempo of Player1. The break was completed when Player1 looked back at his cards and THEN proceeded to complete the bet.
Since Player2 knew that Player1 was bluffing when he looked back at his cards,Player2 successfully called the bet.
There were also tells pertaining to humming noises,foot tapping, and smoke buffing.
In each case, the players had a certain rhythm in their auditory and visual tells.
Did U view Caro's video tells yet??

Interesting topic.

Sitting Bull

Noo Yawk
10-12-2002, 10:10 AM
Al, once again your replies are extremely motivating. As soon as I'm comftorable that I have something a bit more specific that I can put together in an organized and understandable manner, I'll post it and look forward to the boards critique.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Noo Yawk
10-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Hello Bull !! No, I haven't seen Caro's video, but I'd imagine this topic would be much easier to show via video, simply because rhytm is easier to show via auditory and visual cues rather than the written word. Did Caro discuss rhythms in his video?

Noo Yawk
10-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Does she have a book out on this subject? I'd be interested in reading this.

SittingBull
10-12-2002, 01:19 PM
word "rhythm",but I believe that several of his examples were related to your idea of "rhythm".
Great post,BTW!
Keep on "feeding" my mind!
And
Happ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif y pokering!

Sitting Bull

SittingBull
10-12-2002, 01:28 PM
some biological response "tells" in his book "Seven Card Stud Poker".
Interesting points!
Sitting Bull

Jedi Poker
10-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Rasche is one of the traders Jack Schwager interviewed in his book New Market Wizards. She talks about how playing the markets is like playing the piano.

PokerBabe(aka)
10-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Jedi is correct. Read The New Market Wizards for further info on L.R. Babe.

PokerBabe(aka)
10-12-2002, 11:00 PM
New Yawk- think about both the player's rhythm and the game rhythm. Babe