PDA

View Full Version : Do you take small edges?

Tilt
03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Playing against a maniac who raises preflop 12XBB every hand. I know hes gonna bust out soon, but he has been catching cards and has tripled up fast with absolute garbage. He will call any preflop bet with any two cards.

50 NL, hes up to 150, I have 65.

Hes on the button, I am in the BB with TT. Folds all around and he raises his standard 12BB, SB folds. I push, knowing he will call with any two cards.

Is that a good idea?

Wayfare
03-22-2005, 06:19 PM
yes

schwza
03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
no, i don't take small edges b/c i'm allergic to money.

Tilt
03-22-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK, I know you are suposed to take this.

Seriously I find myself in this kind of preflop all-in madness against maniacs alot. And the variance gets hard to take.

And in this case Villain flips QQ and takes my stack.

jimdmcevoy
03-22-2005, 06:28 PM
it has to be done, if you don't take an edge this good (reading the title I was excpecting an edge like 51%) then you shouldn't be playing in the first place, unless it's purely for entertainment

Burno
03-22-2005, 06:31 PM
If your description is accurate it's an easy push.

TT is 3:1 vs. a random hand.

dtbog
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude.. but now he's at 215? Where is this?

I want a piece.

-DB

fimbulwinter
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
there seem to be a lot of people running around with tht strain of weaktightunderbankrolledscaredmoneyseeingmonsterst itis. clear it right up with a few PFR's and some monistat.

fim

KowCiller
03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there seem to be a lot of people running around with tht strain of weaktightunderbankrolledscaredmoneyseeingmonsterst itis. clear it right up with a few PFR's and some monistat.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. nh sir.

KoW

BobboFitos
03-22-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

priceless

Wayfare
03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously I find myself in this kind of preflop all-in madness against maniacs alot. And the variance gets hard to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

Tilt
03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude.. but now he's at 215? Where is this?

I want a piece.

-DB

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerroom table fayettville

zaxx19
03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
If he isnt a super rational player and the variance causes him to steam......

Wait, naw just push.

Tilt
03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Bankroll = 60 buyins, so thats not the issue. Just hate running into better hands. Nothing gets me tilted faster than pushing into better hands.

Wayfare
03-22-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Bankroll = 60 buyins, so thats not the issue. Just hate running into better hands. Nothing gets me tilted faster than pushing into better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, take the number of hands that are "better" than TT preflop:

AA, KK, QQ, JJ

That's ~4/212 hands.

If he is really raising 12x bb every hand, than you'll get "tilted fast" about 2% of the time. And 1/5 of those 2% you'll suck out and smile really hard.

Tilt
03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I wanted to find out if Wayfare would also just push in this situation, or wait for something better. I guess I have my answer!

Wayfare
03-22-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I wanted to find out if Wayfare would also just push in this situation, or wait for something better. I guess I have my answer!

[/ QUOTE ]

By small edges do you mean gaping huge edges? And by would wayfare push, and you were serious he was raising 12x bb every hand, than the answer would be most definately.

poboy
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
The consensus seems to be you made the right play with TT. But how small of an edge would you need. I find myself in this situation alot too as most of us probably do. What kinds of hands are you pushing into a maniac? I've been doing it with medium pairs and big SC's. What else should I be doing this with? Or is that already too much? As the OP said the variance is murder, but as long as I believe my hand is better than my opponents I should push right?

zaxx19
03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Is QJs a big suited connector>?

Are you always last to act....something you NEED to consider.

poboy
03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't do it with JQs, should I? I usually try it with 88+,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ,maybe AT if I'm feeling good and of course AK. I know those aren't all technically connectors, but thats what I'm doing it with. As for acting last, no there are usually a couple limpers between me and maniac. Unless I know before sitting down that he's a maniac in which case I sit directly to his right. So far I haven't run into any multi-way pots doing this, it's been folded to the maniac who of course calls. I see what you're saying though, it could get very ugly if one of those limpers was sitting on a monster.

jpg7n16
03-22-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing gets me tilted faster than pushing into better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nawww..... you don't say!!