PDA

View Full Version : a minor ethical dilema and a comment about metal gear solid 3

bholdr
03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
the two have nothing to do with each other, but the metal gear comment doesn't deserve a thread.

First, my dilema:

I manage an apartment building in seattle. one of my tenants (who is also kind of a friend, in the sense that we chat in the hallways a lot and have a beer once in a while) owns some hot dog carts (i'll call him jon), he sells dogs to the drunks coming out of the bars down the street. He hooks me up with free hotdogs.

The other night at the bar, i run into one of his employees, i'll call him dave. Dave knows me 'cause i get my free hotdogs from him. He comes up to me in the bar, he's a little tipsy, and starts to dump his whole miserable life's story on me. great, i hate that.

"my wife's in the hospital, she tried to kill herself, i've been drunk for days, i smoked some crack last night, i was so depressed. I gotta get to an AA meeting. I'm trying to turn my life around, i got this job" etc, etc.

It was about the most depressing drunken whine session i've ever had to listen to. At the end, I'd concluded that this guy's a total loser, a hopeless drug abusing degenerate, though at the end of our chat, he did take my advice and go to his AA meeting.

The things he told me were obviously intended to be between two guys having a conversation, private, that is, but, i feel that it would be irresponsible towards my tenant not to tell him about the lowlife he's hired. if it were my hotdog stand, i'd fire this dude so damn fast...

now, jon's no fool, and he takes care of his own chit. but do i tell him about dave? i'm leaning towards yes, despite the fact that dave wouldn't have opened up to me had he known i would be speaking to his boss. do the hotdogs come into my descision?

I finally got metal gear solid 3: snake eater. it's badass. i love tis series as a tactical 3rd person game, and some of the boss battles are AWESOME, particularly the long, slow, tense sniper battle against an aincient sniper named 'the end'.

But it DRIVES ME NUTS that 'circle' is the action button and 'x' is the cancel button. I can't stand that! it's the exact opposit of just about every other game out there, and has caused me all kinds of frustration. they should standardize 'x' as the action button on all ps2 games, dammit!

that is all.

astroglide
03-22-2005, 06:13 PM
jesus christ man, it's just running a hot dog stand. unless you think he's going to steal and the stuff isn't easily inventoried just let it go.

KJS
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
What property mgt. co. you work for? I manage a building for Pacific Crest in lower QA. Just curious.

KJS

Boris
03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
It's nunya business. Jon probably already knows he hired a loser. But even losers deserve a 15th chance and working a hot dog cart seems like a good place to start.

wacki
03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's nunya business. Jon probably already knows he hired a loser. But even losers deserve a 15th chance and working a hot dog cart seems like a good place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 09:13 PM
^word, what he said.

mason55
03-22-2005, 09:16 PM
This is one of the more together and upstanding hot dog vendors I've heard about or talked to.

Seriously, if he gets fired he doesn't have anywhere else to go and he'll probably start stealing [censored] or whatever. I'm sure that he has to be accountable for either hot dogs or money and Jon will know if he's stealing [censored].

Let it go.

htc1278
03-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Just tell Jon about 2+2. He'll figure it out eventually if the guy is really trouble.

thewarden
03-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Man, it's probably not the same hot dog cart guy that I'm thinking of, but I used to work at a club which had a hot dog cart outside and the coke-dealing master of the cart was always firing lowlifes for stealing from him. Whaddya expect when you're hiring quasi-homeless people with little supervision. They're trying to get their lives back on track, around cash money with no one watching them until the end of the night. For some reason, though, the guy had this sixth sense of what his take should be and if the guys were off, he'd can them right then and there. I think hot dog guys have got a pretty good sense of the people that they hire--some sort of telepathic wiener sense -- so it'll work out in the end.
Hopefully, it's not the same hot dog guy---I wish that guy nothing but grief. We had to bar him from the club for awhile, even though he was friends with the cokehead owner, because he gave some girl backstage a "cocaine fish hook" where he just stuck his blow-covered finger in her mouth while her head was turned. Nevermind the underage girls he'd bring in. Dude is scum. Don't miss the clubs at all or cokewiener!

jimymat
03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
guys life sounds pretty misreable and now you want to get him fired?

radek2166
03-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I would not say anything. If he does his job thats all that matters.

How many people do you think. Think we are degenerate gamblers? How many of our bosses would love to here how much we play poker and do something about it? Add to that most of us drink. Now we have 2 strikes.