PDA

View Full Version : Demand for Non Windows Poker Clients...

PassiveCaller
03-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Just throwing this out there. I've always been primarily a UNIX (prefer FreeBSD, but also Linux which I'm writing this post on right now) guy and I've always wondered how many other people wish they could play partypoker... pokerstars or whatever else on their non Windows machines without using emulation.

I've debated several times whether it would be worth my time and effort to do some exploration here. It's amatter of time & demand really.

Now I'm in the early stages of deciding whether I even want to waste my time on this but I thought I'd throw out a post and see what the demand was if any... or if anyone knows of anyone that's created a solution at this time.

Looking forward to comments. Mac OS?, Linux?, FreeBSD?...

BMan77
03-22-2005, 05:54 PM
In some ways I'd love a Linux client as poker is the only thing I use Windows for. But in practice, without PT and Gametime+ I probably wouldn't use it that much.

So I guess you can count me as a maybe!

PassiveCaller
03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm just pondering this whole idea. I'm kindof an all in or all out type of a person so this would definitely be part of things considered before development. If it isn't as useful as doing it in windows or more then why not just do it in windows....

I too pretty much at this point use windows for poker and so I'm just curious how many other people are in the same boat and what they think. Basically some data mining of my own ;-)

querulous
03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I've got functional (but nowhere near complete) clients running on mac osx for full tilt, pokerstars and party/empire, but unless someone wants to pay me to finish them I'm pretty much done playing with them. Keeping up with not infrequent software updates is too much of a headache when anyone serious about poker can spend $300 on a computer that runs all the clients native.

PassiveCaller
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
This was definitely one of the big negatives against in my mind. I'd probably go the open source route if I did but lots of updates little reward /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Luv2DriveTT
03-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Web/Java clients are coming down the pipe, there already quite a few rooms take this approach such as Check n raise, Hollywood, and Pokerroom.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

PassiveCaller
03-23-2005, 12:13 AM
The whole point though would be to able to play on some of the bigger sites as opposed to pokerroom or whatever. It'd be nice if PartyPoker/Empire,PokerStars,etc decided to go down this route on their own but who knows..

burningyen
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I would love an UB client for Mac OS. Combine that with a Mac OS Pokertracker and I'd be ecstatic.

thesharpie
03-27-2005, 11:18 PM
*NIX client please!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Windows wouldn't be on my hard drive if it wasn't for poker and video games.