PDA

View Full Version : When your burrito starts falling apart.....

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
What is the most +EV way to remedy the situation?

I expect great things from Patrick del Chipotle Grande in this thread.

beerbandit
03-22-2005, 04:59 PM
just eat it over your taco and when some of the burrito goodness falls out - it just turns into extra taco

cheers

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 05:06 PM
But.... but.... I have no taco! Is that my first mistake?

jar
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
The best way to deal with this is to not get in that situation. I started eating burritos the "Moes way", which I picked up at Moe's southwest grill, a chain of burrito places that recently started expanding to the northeast. Their burritos come wrapped in foil. If you just tear off pieces of the foil as you go, the remaining foil helps maintain burrito integrity.

beerbandit
03-22-2005, 05:13 PM
hmmmmm......no taco, this complicates the situation extremely --- ive seen that jar metioned to eat out of the wrapper, this is one possiblity -- which, for some reason i do not like at all

maybe there should be a burrito bib invented, with a small pocket on the bottom to catch the burrito "surprises" that fall out and can be eaten at the end of the meal

cheers

morgan180
03-22-2005, 05:16 PM
order your burrito double-wrapped.

swede123
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Eat it faster. Salsa and other sauses causes it to break apart, the more juicy stuff the faster it disintegrates. But if you snarf it fast (don't take more than 90 seconds to eat a Chipotle Burrito for example) then you are safe!

Cheers,

Swede

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best way to deal with this is to not get in that situation. I started eating burritos the "Moes way", which I picked up at Moe's southwest grill, a chain of burrito places that recently started expanding to the northeast. Their burritos come wrapped in foil. If you just tear off pieces of the foil as you go, the remaining foil helps maintain burrito integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular burrito was *loosely* wrapped in foil... I attempted the Moe method but it started to fail as the burrito's integrity became progressively worse.

Also, what is your backup plan if the burrito does not come with foil?

gumpzilla
03-22-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(don't take more than 90 seconds to eat a Chipotle Burrito for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you man . . . or superman?

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eat it faster. Salsa and other sauses causes it to break apart, the more juicy stuff the faster it disintegrates. But if you snarf it fast (don't take more than 90 seconds to eat a Chipotle Burrito for example) then you are safe!

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah.. I ordered this burrito from a cart near my office and consequently had to drive it back before I could begin consuming it.

It was a carnitas burrito, so as you can expect, there was a lot of delicious pork juice hard at work disintigrating the wrapper.

Also, it was a fairly poorly wrapped burrito to begin with... these can be really tough to deal with I've found.

jar
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, what is your backup plan if the burrito does not come with foil?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had to deal with that in a while. I can't remember whether th e independent mexican food joint near my old apartment had foil or not. My friends and I have become addicted to Moes, and there's no good independent mexican places near where I'm living now.

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When your burrito starts falling apart.....

[/ QUOTE ]

...See a gynocologist?>

sfer
03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
order your burrito double-wrapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.

thatpfunk
03-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Order a real burrito that doesn't come "wrapped."

Use a fork.

Edge34
03-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I always use the "tear off a foil as you go" method with my Chipotle burritos. I'd have to say that when/if that fails, or it didn't come well-wrapped, or whatever, you need to go with the "Who gives a [censored]" method of letting whatever falls out fall out, and either attempting to put it back in (if you're that patient), or just eating that part after you're done. Get a plate or something else to keep the goodness on the inside from being wasted on a floor.

Boris
03-22-2005, 06:36 PM
stuff the remaining burrito into your mouth in one bite.

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Order a real burrito that doesn't come "wrapped."

[/ QUOTE ]

Buh?

M2d
03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I've found that a lot of places are lazy when they put the fillings in, so I've started opening them up and mixing the stuff up in there then re-wrapping it myself. that way, I know that it's wrapped correctly and that I won't get a bite full of sour cream then a bite full of beans then a bite full of meat.

B Dids
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I assume this will 'cause people to question my sexual preference, but I always eat mine with a fork. I don't enjoy eating with my hands much (save ribs).

swede123
03-22-2005, 07:29 PM
[censored]!

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume this will 'cause people to question my sexual preference, but I always eat mine with a fork. I don't enjoy eating with my hands much (save ribs).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's acceptable, as long as you're not one of these people that eats french fries with a fork.... cause if you are.....

thatpfunk
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm being a mexican food snob.

If you get some decent mexican food its going to come loosely wrapped some paper-ish type material (that you do not keep on while eating) or in a little styrofom (sp?) box thingie. You have no option to keep it wrapped up.

btw, everytime i see your avatar I have to remind myself you're NOT that little punk kid.

DBowling
03-22-2005, 08:06 PM
just eat it as fast as possible

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-22-2005, 08:15 PM
you didnt bring your collapsing bowl?

mason55
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone ACTUALLY left the foil on while they ate, I thought that was a joke on the Chipotle napkins....

Anyways, you have to make a pre-emptive strike against the burrito before it begins to fall apart. When the burrito begins to lose structural stability (at the first signs!) you have to start eating the fillings below the top of the tortilla, so you have a little tortilla bowl and the filling is below the top. Then you can slow bunch the bottom up and push the filling towards the top. Once you've bunched up enough burrito at the bottom you can either continue eating this way if necessary or return to eating the burrito normally until the bunching method becomes necessary again.

#1 most important rule is that you can NEVER set the burrito down once you've made the initial penetration througuh the tortilla.

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 08:59 PM
the "Moes way" is not unique. Taco Del Mar has served their burritos the same way for years. Clearly just unroll the foil as you eat.

morgan180
03-22-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

#1 most important rule is that you can NEVER set the burrito down once you've made the initial penetration througuh the tortilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent insight - and effective.

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
also, don't be afraid to use a fork to eat part of the filling.

mason55
03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to use a fork, get a salad and leave the real food for the rest of us.

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to use a fork, get a salad and leave the real food for the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]I stick that fork up your [censored] ass too.

Matt Flynn
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
when reading the thread opener, i immediately thought "good technique question. boris'll straighten him out." and he did.

the only other acceptable answer is throw a bunch of cheese on it, nuke it, allow 1 minute for congealing then make a cheese rollup out of it. get five extra napkins while it's congealing. ok you can also scoop and go for more than a mouthful, but it's unmanly.

Civiliste
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've found that a lot of places are lazy when they put the fillings in, so I've started opening them up and mixing the stuff up in there then re-wrapping it myself. that way, I know that it's wrapped correctly and that I won't get a bite full of sour cream then a bite full of beans then a bite full of meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. IMO, highest EV from this method. They can't do it right, so do it yourself, and don't tip!