PDA

View Full Version : FYI Post

FeliciaLee
03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, this is the last type post I ever thought I'd be making on 2+2, but since this is my favorite poker forum, I suppose I should just spill it anyway.

I've had some bad news this past week. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

It was originally thought in December that I had a small cyst, benign, that needed to be removed. Although the cyst grew, my doctor was still sure it was benign. Last Thursday he told me that it was not benign, and I have a small amount of cancer. On Friday I found out the cancer was a little bit bigger than they originally thought. Yesterday I found out that I'm not even in "early stage" cancer, but in a later stage. Lucky me, huh? LOL /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Um, yeah, I'm getting a new doctor, haha!

Anyway, the best cancer treatment center in Arizona is in Phoenix, which is a 200 mile hike for me, so I don't believe my participation here will be as frequent as normal. Then again, I might not have anything better to do, so I might be posting several times per day. What a bad beat for you all! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The good news is that I'll be able to play some live mixed games at Ft. McDowell while I'm in treatment, lol!

I will try to post frequent updates on my journal, for those who are interested.

Thanks to everyone!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

Stinglikeabee
03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Hope everything goes well. Take care.

nolanfan34
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Get well soon!

PassiveCaller
03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's to a speedy and full recovery!

VBM
03-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Best wishes Felicia for a full, speedy recovery!

promise to keep us posted...

ElSapo
03-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Good look Felicia, stay well...

Boris
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Wow. What a bummer. I hope you win this battle.

Note to Boris: think twice before complaining about some trivial life detail.

CCass
03-22-2005, 05:14 PM
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

bernie
03-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I thought awhile on how to respond to this and only came up with 2 words.

This sucks!

Best wishes in your battle and here's hoping to a speedy recovery. As 1 that has always enjoyed your posts, you will be missed. You have a quality that is getting harder and harder to find on here.

[ QUOTE ]
Then again, I might not have anything better to do, so I might be posting several times per day. What a bad beat for you all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Laptop? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Take care of yourself.

b

La Brujita
03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
My thoughts are with you and hope all the best for you.

daveymck
03-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Really shitty news even worse that a doctor messed up.

Good luck in your fight stay strong.

SomethingClever
03-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Phat Mack
03-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I was sorry to read this bad news. I hope everything goes well for you, Felicia. Good luck!

Matt Flynn
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Felicia best of luck to you.

Matt

Turning Stone Pro
03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Best of luck Felicia, and God Bless.

Joe

M2d
03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
felicia,
i was thinking of how to respond to this. remember Jimmy Valvano's words at the first ESPY's and never give up. I think you have the whole of 2+2 thinking good thoughts.

fsuplayer
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I wish you the best. get well soon.

mike l.

andyfox
03-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Chin up and beat it. Easy to say, not so easy to do. But you know you have a lot of friends pulling for you.

Andy

Clarkmeister
03-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Good luck.

Your Mom
03-22-2005, 07:57 PM
My fiance's mother got similar news around Thanksgiving. She is going through her second round of chemo now, but a full recovery is expected. I hope the same for you.

Myrtle
03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
....lots of us here will be pulling for you BIG TIME.....

keep your chin up and get TOUGH!

...this thing CAN be beaten and IMO (based upon what we know of you from here), you're just the one who can do it!!

cwsiggy
03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Get well soon!!! In time for the WSOP!!

Ulysses
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
get better

get better
get better
get better

razor
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best wishes

Mayhap
03-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Get well FL.
God Bless,

/M

Luv2DriveTT
03-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Felicia:

The one thing we did not discuss in our PM conversations is can you afford this? Do you need any help?

TT - sending you good wishes and hopes of a speedy recovery

FeliciaLee
03-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Yes, I have very good insurance. I have to pay a fortune for it, because of the diabetes, but it is comprehensive and should pay for everything save my small deductible.

Thanks for caring.

Edge34
03-22-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
felicia,
i was thinking of how to respond to this. remember Jimmy Valvano's words at the first ESPY's and never give up. I think you have the whole of 2+2 thinking good thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Felicia, I haven't ended up in too many threads you've been in, but your posts have always been a good read. When it comes to real-life things like this, even though I don't "know" you, I can't help but feel for you. Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery!

MMMMMM
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Best wishes.

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get better

get better
get better
get better

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best poem yet, ElD. And Ditto. Get better.

Mason Malmuth
03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Felicia:

No bad beats are allowed on this forum.

Follow your doctor's instructions and take care of yourself. You'll be back in good shape in no time.

Best wishes,
Mason

Andy B
03-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah, just make sure it's the right doctor.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stankybank
03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Felicia,

In the words of Tupac, "Keep yo head up".

Mike Gallo
03-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Felicia,

I am at a loss for words.

God speed and make a quick recovery.

I.Rowboat
03-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Good luck, and take care of yourself.

uuDevil
03-23-2005, 02:55 AM
/images/graemlins/heart.gif Your personality gives you an advantage some of us wouldn't have. Bust this MF.

jdl22
03-23-2005, 03:11 AM
I actually teared up a bit reading this. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Good luck.

Jason Strasser
03-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Good luck, get well.

Luv2DriveTT
03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/heart.gif Your personality gives you an advantage some of us wouldn't have. Bust this MF.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny, I was thinking something very similar. In a perfect world her take no prisioners approach should kick the big C on its own without the need of any doctor's help, too bad the world isn't perfect.

Strangely I feel bad for the nurses she will encounter. Felicia is going to send them all back to basic training... you go girl!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

ToneLoc
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Good luck Felicia, hope you get well soon.

DGB13
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Felicia, I wish you a successful treatment and a quick recovery. One of your blog lurkers.

dogmeat
03-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Felicia, you will beat this! Consider us all in your corner. PM if you get too bored, I'm in Phoenix.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Sponger15SB
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Good luck felicia, I wish you well.

deacsoft
03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best wishes to you.

Cheers,

deacsoft

Toro
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Dammit, when I saw the title of your post, I thought it was going to be a primer on posting trip reports or something.

But I'm glad you thought enough of us fellow posters to share this with us so that we could all wish you well.

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Sarge85
03-23-2005, 06:44 PM
It can be beaten.

Best of luck.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Barry
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Felica -

I've been away for a few days, so I've just now had a chance to hear about your health issues. It saddens me greatly to know that someone as nice as you was dealt such a lousy hand.

Let me add that my thoughts and wishes are with you and I can't wait to hear of your report that the Docs have told you that you're in remission.

In the short term I'll miss sweating you in the Stud H/L tourny at FW's next week.

J.Brown
03-23-2005, 08:14 PM
FYI

everyone here likes you alot and is pulling for you more than you would ever know.

positive thinking and getting better go hand in hand.

good luck to you and hang in there. J.Brown

Sponger15SB
03-23-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone here likes you alot and is pulling for you more than you would ever know.

[/ QUOTE ]

JoeU
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Felicia,

I'd like to join everyone here in wishing you a very speedy recovery. We are all thinking of you and pulling for you.

Joe

Zeno
03-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Hard to say anything more except that you need to add one more person that wishes you well and hopes the best for you and loved ones. You have a lot of support - so think positive - everyone else is.

-Zeno

FeliciaLee
03-23-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Strangely I feel bad for the nurses she will encounter. Felicia is going to send them all back to basic training... you go girl!

[/ QUOTE ]
Check one off. I already walked out on one surgeon in Phoenix today. She felt so bad that she called my answering machine apologizing before I even got home!

FeliciaLee
03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Thank you all so much for the well wishes I've received so far.

Wow, overwhelming, really!

I didn't like the surgeon I went to interview today. I did, however, love the cancer center in Phoenix. It is on 101 & Shea. It was pretty cool /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also have called a top notch place in Tulsa, they are supposed to call me back. Late stage or no late stage, I'm going to make sure I have the best odds for recovery.

HDPM
03-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Excellent. It is such a mistake to just go to some doc where you live without investigating who is good and who you like. The stakes are too high not to find the best you can. GL, hang in there.

Luv2DriveTT
03-24-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Check one off. I already walked out on one surgeon in Phoenix today. She felt so bad that she called my answering machine apologizing before I even got home!

[/ QUOTE ]

Felicia Lee: 1
Medical Team: 0

Don't let us down!

PS: I sent out an all points bulletin this evening with my "family" in Scottsdale to find housing and a great doctor for you. I should have answers by noon tomorrow.

Joe Tall
03-24-2005, 03:04 AM
My thoughts are with you,
Joe

Michael Davis
03-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Good luck, Felicia.

-Michael

Turning Stone Pro
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Go to Elmer's "It Be Bad" Barbecue on Peoria Ave., near Riverside Drive. It's a hole in the wall, but the best BBQ in all of Tulsa.

Again, Best Wishes.

Joe

Robbe
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Please add my wishes for the best... Be well again soon!

FeliciaLee
03-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much, TT.

I'm really becoming appalled at the attitude of so many people in the cancer biz. They are rude and really blase about it. I guess I intend to change some attitudes, but I hate the one being the guinea pig in the process.

FeliciaLee
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
LOL, I doubt I'll be in the mood for BBQ, but who knows! Thanks for the suggestion, at any rate.

I plan on playing some poker in the new Tulsa poker room if I'm healthy enough to do so.

sfer
03-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Best of luck, get well.

Dave

Luv2DriveTT
03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much, TT.

I'm really becoming appalled at the attitude of so many people in the cancer biz. They are rude and really blase about it. I guess I intend to change some attitudes, but I hate the one being the guinea pig in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent an email this morning asking for that info, none of my "minions" have gotten back to me yet. I am putting pressure on them all, I expect some emails this evening.

By the way, why haven't you tried the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale yet? The best cancer doctors in the world so I hear. If you tell them exactly what you are l;ooking for, including your peronality demands, I'm sure they will introduce you to the right team of doctors.

PS: Just keep in the back of your head that although cancer is a life altering situation for you, to the medical field this is just another everyday occurance to them. They need to insulate themselves from getting mixed up with their paitent's emotions, so they can often come across as rude, crass, or insensitive. Let them know who you are, and what you are looking for in a person as well as a doctor, and those walls might come tumbling down fast.

aas
03-25-2005, 04:38 AM
I rarely pray; tonight I will.

Best wishes Felicia.

FeliciaLee
03-25-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, why haven't you tried the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale yet? The best cancer doctors in the world so I hear. If you tell them exactly what you are l;ooking for, including your peronality demands, I'm sure they will introduce you to the right team of doctors.

[/ QUOTE ]
First place I tried, of course. They don't accept BCBS, although they can usually get them to pay some of the cost. At this late stage, I would probably be looking at over 100k out of pocket.

If it gets to be a matter of having very low odds of survival, (if my final stage ends up as a IV) I'll pay that much, if not, I'll go with a cancer center that accepts BCBS.

jrobb83
03-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Good luck, and get better soon. If you would like some 2+2 poster donations in the fort mixed game, let me know when you plan on playing. I'll try and recoup what I will donate when we play holdem. My prayers will be with you.

beernutz
03-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Felicia, there are three cancer survivors in my immediate family so I know first hand some of the amazing improvements in treatment success. I also firmly believe a strong positive mental attitude helped each of them, FWIW.

God bless and good luck to you.

Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts. - Cicero

[ QUOTE ]
Well, this is the last type post I ever thought I'd be making on 2+2, but since this is my favorite poker forum, I suppose I should just spill it anyway.

I've had some bad news this past week. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

It was originally thought in December that I had a small cyst, benign, that needed to be removed. Although the cyst grew, my doctor was still sure it was benign. Last Thursday he told me that it was not benign, and I have a small amount of cancer. On Friday I found out the cancer was a little bit bigger than they originally thought. Yesterday I found out that I'm not even in "early stage" cancer, but in a later stage. Lucky me, huh? LOL /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Um, yeah, I'm getting a new doctor, haha!

Anyway, the best cancer treatment center in Arizona is in Phoenix, which is a 200 mile hike for me, so I don't believe my participation here will be as frequent as normal. Then again, I might not have anything better to do, so I might be posting several times per day. What a bad beat for you all! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The good news is that I'll be able to play some live mixed games at Ft. McDowell while I'm in treatment, lol!

I will try to post frequent updates on my journal, for those who are interested.

Thanks to everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy B
03-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I can't imagine ever not being in the mood for barbecue.

Bosyn
03-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Ma'am if you do come to Tulsa let us texans know and we'll donate to the "Save Felicia's boob" fund at the O/8 tables /images/graemlins/wink.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif

FeliciaLee
03-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks. I have heard good things about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They have already preapproved my insurance.

The only holdback is that I might have to relocate to Tulsa for up to two years. I'm not sure I want to do that if I don't have to.

I don't want to turn this into a cancer discussion forum, but if anyone has heard anything about CTCA, please PM me. Naturally I'm not interested in the "testimonials" on their website, I want to hear from patients who have both good and bad things to say.

As far as the BBQ thing, I'm just assuming I'll lose my appetite during treatment. That seems the norm for just about everyone, and I don't have much of an appetite to begin with. But I do love some good BBQ!!!

I think the boob is gonna have to go. It's not 100% right now, more like 99%, lol. The cancer has just spread too far. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

chesspain
03-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Felicia,

Don't let that angle-shooting cancer get the best of you.

FeliciaLee
03-26-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't let that angle-shooting cancer get the best of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, doc!

You know, I don't know who is shooting more angles, the cancer, or the cold, callous people who treat the cancer!

Oncologists=good. Surgeons=bad

EliteNinja
03-27-2005, 04:41 PM
With a healthy attitude, you can beat this!
Stay positive and keep fighting the good fight!

thatpfunk
03-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Good luck and think positive.

mikeyvegas
03-29-2005, 03:34 AM
This is awful news felicia. I wish you good luck in your treatment and I'll have you in my prays.

tinga81
03-29-2005, 04:04 AM
good luck to you, i hope you can kick cancer's ass in the end, and have a speedy recovery

DesertCat
03-30-2005, 01:52 AM
Best wishes and good luck Felicia. My family has unfortunately had four cases of breast cancer, all but one have turned out well. Sounds like you are keeping a short leash on the doctors, which is important.

If you need a ride or any thing else while you are still in town, don't hesitate to ask. I'm very close to 101 & Shea.

best wishes,
Randy

Rick Nebiolo
03-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Someone as strong as you is a big favorite to beat this. Good luck and I hope you realize that just about everyone in the poker community who has ever met you or read your stuff will be pulling for you.

Best Wishes and Warm Regards,

Rick

Bill Murphy
03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
This better not affect our plans to make the final tables of both WSOP Stud8 events this year! /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

All the best.

FeliciaLee
03-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Someone (http://www.billrini.com/archives/2004/11/proof_that_onli.html) who is known for great Party skins and parodies of poker has decided that I need my own book. We have all seen his site, with his great Party cheating skin (the dealer dealing off the bottom of the deck, the player with a card up his sleeve).

Because I asked (um, actually forced) Bill (http://www.billrini.com/archives/2004/12/reliable_online.html) to do a parody of me, he exhibits his genius again in this "book" called:

"Play Poker Like the Chemo's!" (http://www.cafepress.com/wpbt.20003164)

Enjoy, and feel free to comment, it would make my day!

FeliciaLee
03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Randy! That is very close to the cancer center.

Is that where your family members were treated? What did they think of the center, overall?

I just returned from there last night. So far, so good.

Cornell Fiji
03-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Felicia,
Your charismatic, optimistic personality is so strong that it permeates through this poker message board. If anyone has the perspective to beat cancer it is you. Get well soon, there are a lot of people pulling for you!

-Steve

GreywolfNYC
03-31-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Felicia,
Your charismatic, optimistic personality is so strong that it permeates through this poker message board. If anyone has the perspective to beat cancer it is you. Get well soon, there are a lot of people pulling for you!

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I couldn't have said it better. Get well soon, Felicia.

magithighs
03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
We've never crossed posts, but I'm in your corner. My prayers are with you (already said some).

Get better!

Magi

DrSavage
03-31-2005, 11:38 PM
I wish you the very best.

GrunchCan
03-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Be strong. Lean on your family. Get well.

My heart goes out to you.

John /images/graemlins/club.gif

barry111
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Felicia, know they there are many people out here in the world that you may never have heard of or even new existed that are pulling for you big time. I am one of those people.
Push don't fold
Andy

John Feeney
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Felicia,

I just found this thread after reading your post on OOT. I understand cure rates for many cancers are way up over just a couple of decades ago. Count me in as another who's rooting for you. Looking forward to more on your keeping the docs in line. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted,

John

TomBrooks
04-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Good luck, FL. I guy I know beat cancer and swears he did it with what he learned in a book by Bernie S. Siegel, MD call Love, Medicine, and Miracles.

slamdunkpro
04-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Best wishes - BEAT IT!

FeliciaLee
04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
The responses from this post have been overwhelming. I'm so truly grateful for all of the support.

Some good news has come my way lately. Just a little thing, but little things are starting to mean a lot more to me these days. The surgeon was unable to find any "glaring" cancer in the lymph nodes or in my left breast via the MRI and ultrasound. While that doesn't mean I'm clear in those areas, it is a good sign.

This leaves the cancer in the right breast, which has already been confirmed twice. I will find out for sure if there is any cancer anywhere else next Thursday.

Thursday, April 14th, I will be having a double mastectomy, along with some testing of my lymph nodes for cancer. Unfortunately, it looks like both sides must go. But at least I'll be balanced, huh??? No leaning to the left when I walk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know, you are thinking, "How can they perform a mastectomy when there is nothing there to cut off???" Well, believe it or not, there is a little bump on each side, enough for them to want to take it all, lol.

NO, I'm not getting implants or any kind of natural tissue inserted back in to make it look like I have breasts, although I could use some free liposuction on my hips, lol. I didn't have more than speed bumps before, so why bother now?

If all goes according to plan, I'll begin chemo on May 2nd.

Yes, I shaved my hair down to the current avatar, and if I look good as a baldie, I'll post a pic of that to thrill you all to pieces. If I look bad as a baldie, I'll use the Italian bandana that Max Pescatori (http://www.maxpesca.com/index.html) sent me as my avatar.

I know I joke around a lot, and deal with things humorously, but seriously, guys, the support here has been outstanding, and I thank you all sincerely.

bugstud
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I hope the good news continues, this is good to hear.

nolanfan34
04-07-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope the good news continues, this is good to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Best wishes for a full recovery!

Luv2DriveTT
04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Double is huge.... breasts can go as long as your health stays. I'll be crossing my fingers for you that day....