PDA

View Full Version : Worst "getting to know you" Question

theBruiser500
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Firstly on an offtopic but related subject, I hate the question "how are you?" from a stranger. This is just stupid, even if I'm in a bad mood or something is wrong I'm not going to say, and he doesn't want to hear it, it's just lame. Better is just "hey" or "hello." Okay this thread is about having a conversation with a stranger. Questions like "what's your name" "what is your job" "what have you been doing with your time lately" good uself interesting.

But the question "where do you live" is really stupid, not stupid if you're trying to figure out what country someone is from. What's stupid is when I'm out of the US peopel ask me where I'm from and I say US, and then they ask where in the US. Most people haven't even heard of the Massachusetts and even if they have who the hell cares so what this leads absolutely no where and is just a stupid quesotin.

nolanfan34
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
This post made me think of a question:

How are you doing, Bruiser?

kyro
03-22-2005, 03:48 PM
are you TRYING to claim the title of most useless OOT poster? oh, and don't bother telling me you don't care, I'm already well aware of that. btw, has jurollo been banned yet for making you cry?

stabn
03-22-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How are you doing ...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love answering this question honestly. The double take people do is awesome.

Dominic
03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
"Does this rash look like it might spread?"

offTopic
03-22-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Firstly on an offtopic but related subject, I hate the question "how are you?" from a stranger. This is just stupid, even if I'm in a bad mood or something is wrong I'm not going to say, and he doesn't want to hear it, it's just lame. Better is just "hey" or "hello." Okay this thread is about having a conversation with a stranger. Questions like "what's your name" "what is your job" "what have you been doing with your time lately" good uself interesting.

But the question "where do you live" is really stupid, not stupid if you're trying to figure out what country someone is from. What's stupid is when I'm out of the US peopel ask me where I'm from and I say US, and then they ask where in the US. Most people haven't even heard of the Massachusetts and even if they have who the hell cares so what this leads absolutely no where and is just a stupid quesotin.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about, "Is English you primary language?"

NotInchoateHand1
03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Getting to know you, getting to know all about you. Getting to like you,
getting to hope you like me. Getting to know you, putting it my way...

Yes everything people say must be pertinent and have a strict use value. If the coefficient of usefullness does not approach...

whine less.

codewarrior
03-22-2005, 03:55 PM
"Cut or Uncut?" oh wait - that was the worst poll question...

jakethebake
03-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Would you mind brushing your teeth?

PhatTBoll
03-22-2005, 04:52 PM
What gender are you?

beerbandit
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What gender are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

not if it was pat

1800GAMBLER
03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
WOULD YOU MIND GETTING INTO A HOT TUB WITH ME THEN PUTTING YOUR HANDS UNDER THE WATER TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME AND THEN PHOTOGRAPHING THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE AND POSTING IT ON THE INTERNET?

Boris
03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
For some strange reason educated people in other countries know US geography better than many Americans.

Also, I like it when people are superficially nice to me. It's much better than being rude or insulting. I also don't like when people ask me nosy questions about my occupation and what I do in my spare time.

beerbandit
03-22-2005, 05:01 PM
"can i buy you a fish sandwich?"

"do you like mustache rides?"

cheers

M2d
03-22-2005, 05:01 PM
"excuse me, didn't we meet at the free clinic the other day?"

chaas4747
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
"Wanna Tandem Parasail?"

wacki
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some strange reason educated people in other countries know US geography better than many Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Germany I had a member of the Deutscher Bundestag tell me the average American is stupid and doesn't know the US has 52 states.

Nice to know their politicians are so well informed.

PhatTBoll
03-22-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What gender are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

not if it was pat

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat tends to get agitated and defensive when asked this question.

morgan180
03-22-2005, 05:23 PM
ever seen a grown man naked?

PhatTBoll
03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Germany I had a member of the Deutscher Bundestag tell me the average American is stupid and doesn't know the US has 52 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably including Canada and the moon.

Boris
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
as well he should.

Boris
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
My typical experience is that I would tell somebody where I was from (Montana) and they would know what I was talking about. Then they would tell where they were from (;ladfhaiouhjkhadsf, Poland) and I wouldn't have a clue. Then I would get a bunch of shyt about how Americans are so self centered and stupid and blah, blah, blah.

housenuts
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
what's your sign?

who the hell cares.

gonores
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
At the risk of making a serious reply, I got this all the time in college and it was a deal-breaker for all but the hottest of women.

"So what is your major?"

Boris
03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
When I was at Berkeley I had a girlfriend that insisted on the full battery of STD tests before getting horizontal. For some reason the berkeley student health center doesn't test for AIDS or Hepatitis. I had to go to the Free Clinic. I'm sitting in the waiting room and this dude behind me is talking in a loud voice about the sore on his pecker and how the doctors don't even know what it is. Goddam was I glad to get out of there.

Jurollo
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you TRYING to claim the title of most useless OOT poster? oh, and don't bother telling me you don't care, I'm already well aware of that. btw, has jurollo been banned yet for making you cry?

[/ QUOTE ]
Still alive and kicking /images/graemlins/grin.gif Really worried for a while though just due to the immense clout bruiser 'the punk' has and the large amount of bannable offenses I committ on a daily basis.
~Justin

wacki
03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I would get a bunch of shyt about how Americans are so self centered and stupid and blah, blah, blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should tell them that money makes the world go round and ;ladfhaiouhjkhadsf Poland isn't on the money map.

Just keepin it real,

wacki

schwza
03-22-2005, 06:20 PM
damn, this was a good subject and a totally worthless thread.

my entry...

her: what's your favorite fruit?
me: strawberries
her: oh.

iMsoLucky0
03-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Can't believe the thread has gone this deep without a.....

SUP BRO?

tek
03-22-2005, 06:46 PM
It might be a law that if you are from the east coast and the south you have to ask How Are You. You don't have to wait for an answer, but you have to ask. Then you can wam bam into your spiel.

In the midwest most don't ask. It's just blah blah right off the bat, followed by a few 'ya knows' and 'you betchas'.

wacki
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the vast wilderness of Minnesota most don't ask. It's just blah blah right off the bat, followed by a few 'ya knows' and 'you betchas'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Boris
03-22-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the vast wilderness of Minnesota most don't ask. It's just blah blah right off the bat, followed by a few 'ya knows' and 'you betchas'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard they shoot first and ask questions later.

housenuts
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
often times i will walk by a semi-friend, like a friend of a friend, and the conversation will go like this

me: how's it going?
him: what's up?

and we continue walking. no break in stride. no answer to either question. it's just as good as a hello.

wacki
03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I have to ask, who is that girl in your avatar? Your gf?

Boris
03-22-2005, 07:08 PM
great question.

Tyler Durden
03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Have you ever bruised anything in your life? What a misnomer. Yes I know I'm not really Tyler Durden.

GuyOnTilt
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey Bruiser,

I guess I'm the only one who actually gets what you're saying and appreciates it. I say "How's it going?" far too much when seeing people, and then don't even "listen" for an answer. Not that the other person feels expected to give one I don't think, but then what's the point? It just gets us all in the habit of useless banter without meaning.

Keep up the good work. And to all you Bruiser haters, for shame.

GoT

lu_hawk
03-22-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It might be a law that if you are from the east coast and the south you have to ask How Are You. You don't have to wait for an answer, but you have to ask. Then you can wam bam into your spiel.

In the midwest most don't ask. It's just blah blah right off the bat, followed by a few 'ya knows' and 'you betchas'.

[/ QUOTE ]

over here it is usually 'how you doin' not 'how are you'.

nolanfan34
03-22-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, no one is hating here. I like Bruiser's posts, even though he is a more prolific and better liked poster than myself.

Dr. Strangelove
03-22-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably including Canada and the moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he's still wrong because he's forgetting England.

Jurollo
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not really a hater, just think he takes a very immature line to the way he approaches comments most of the time. That 'tis all.
~Justin

DISCLAIMER: Not to say I don't do the same sometimes too, his just rubs me the wrong way because it is not only immature but extremely condescending for someone without a ton of personal life experience. (Respect your elders)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-22-2005, 08:17 PM
"would you describe your pubic hair as abundant?"

STLantny
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Is it me or is it hot in here?
oh no wait, thats the hot tub.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
03-22-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it me or is it hot in here?
oh no wait, thats the hot tub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im quite cold actually. Except for my balls, which are covered in an abundance of pubic hair.

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
CLEAN YOUR BODY YOU FILTHY STINKY MUTHA [censored] ER.

ilya
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
They just want to know if you're a bleeding-heart pussy or a jingoistic bigot.

Seriously, though, I think it's a valid question. I'd say some states differ more from some other states than they do from some foreign countries. Plus, you can often infer a good deal about someone by finding out whether they're from a big city or not.

ilya
03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How are you doing ...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love answering this question honestly. The double take people do is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a bad litmus test. If you answer honestly and the person is cool with that, he/she is often alright.

ilya
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he was thinking of Haiti and Puerto Rico and it was a politically charged figure of speech.

JGalt
03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I usually try and avoid all meaningless conversation. When I do get cornered and have to talk to someone I say the usual crap and if I haven't found an out yet, I will ask the "where do you live?" in extended form to buy me some time. Small chat pisses me off.

As for Americans and geography (I'm Canadian). I know it's a small sample size, but still funny. I was in Florida a few years , well alot of years back and had three people in a group ask what it is like to live in an Eskimo. Some serious problems with that question.

Do you see why?

Matt Flynn
03-22-2005, 10:29 PM
yes the questions are silly and halfhearted, but they are less rude than silence. we walk around telling everyone to "have a nice day." that's about as stupid as you can get. it's just small talk. it serves a purpose.

that said i like "did you fart?"

matt

ilya
03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what it is like to live in an Eskimo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta be pretty illegal.

stankybank
03-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree.

willie
03-22-2005, 10:52 PM
for a female "are you into gang rape?"

for a guy "how hangs your hammer?"

The Yugoslavian
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what it is like to live in an Eskimo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta be pretty illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

But tasty!

Mmmmmhmmmmm...

Yugoslav

theBruiser500
03-23-2005, 12:59 AM
thanks for the support GoT. and you don't need to worry, i won't let these haters get in the way of me posting.