PDA

View Full Version : Tough decisions what would you do?

winky51
03-22-2005, 03:40 PM
This is a hand type that is very interesting to me. Its tough to play and I wanted to lay out the scenario to see what you all would do. No read on players

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls (after 20 second pause), UTG folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font> (after 20 second pause), Hero ??????

2 overcards + 2 draws.

I usually find that a player that takes the exact amount to decide on the flop and turn has a strong hand. The old weak means strong. Pretending to decide. Usually players decide what they will do for the hand on the flop. Unless the board changes drastically and another player acts unexpectedly will players pause twice. So between that, the 2 over cards, he called a raise cold, having a possible draw with overcards, I think it all mounts against you.

ThePenguin
03-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree.. usually. Just muck it. You're losing to the tens or the kings, and the guy just showed some aggression. Pot is small and not worth it

jb9
03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't think the long pauses are a good sign. If he were bluffing, he would (or at least should) have bet quickly.

The only thing I can think of that he needs to contemplate on the turn that he didn't already figure out on the flop is whether or not to try for the check raise now that UTG has folded.

He could have AQ, QJ, or 2 diamonds, but without any other read I think he has a T, a K, or KT and folding is not a bad idea.

That said, long pauses can be caused by unrelated things (multitabling, phone ringing, wife talking, delivery guy at door, dog eating something not meant for dogs to eat, dog having violent reaction after having eaten something not meant for dogs to eat).

Fat Nicky
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
pot is small, there are 2 overcards on board....good fold.

winky51
03-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Maybe I didnt specify. The pauses were exactly the same amount of time. 90% of the time that means big hand.

Just like someone who raises with a couple $$$ left. I always reraise with any decent hand, even (A9) because 90% of the time they have crap.

winky51
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Thats what I ended up doing.

I am finding it easier to bluff than to catch a bluffer. But I do from time to time. Gotta read the flop just right, and know the player.