PDA

View Full Version : Play in the blinds- 3 hands

Easy E
03-22-2005, 03:32 PM
From a tournament with 1000 starting stacks and blinds starting at 5/10 and progressing every 20 minutes. Three hands in the big blind for your comments.

You are in the BB with a remaining stack of 950 - current blinds 150/300. UTG raises all-in for 550 total, middle position goes all in for 575, SB calls the extra 425. You hold 96o. What do you do?

In the BB, 150/300 level, you have 975. UTG+1 limps in, one fold, middle position player limps (generally an aggessive player preflop)- he has around 4000 remaining and is the table leader. It's folded to the SB who folds, pot is 1050. There are about 45 players left in the tournament, paying 20 spots. You hold 32s- what is your action?

In the BB again- now 400/800. you have 125 left after posting. Folded to late position player who raises. Do you even need to look at your cards?
Are there any number of limpers or raisers that would make you fold any hand, down to 72o? If so, what hands?

schwza
03-22-2005, 03:50 PM
1) does SB have any chips left? if no, i call, else i fold.

2) check

3) regardless of the action (barring some weird in the money considerations) i'm calling the last 125.

Lucky_Mike
03-22-2005, 04:01 PM
This is my train of thought concerning these types of hands. Calling with odds etc with horrendous hands such as 96o and 32 seems logical in live game play. I think you need to apply the concept of "you're broke- you're done" in tournament play. Call with odds in a cash game. Stack protection becomes more of a priority to me in tournament. Also applicable is the idea that making a bet that's offering you fair odds today is an inferior idea to making a bet offering you superior odds in the future. In other words- it can be mathematically correct to pass up a good fair/good bet if losing that bet can keep you from making an even better bet later on. This is tournament theory. Make those cool and fun odds calls in the cash game where you can buy back in, but as far as tournament poker goes, stay away from marginal gambles for large ammounts of chips.

DireWolf
03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
i dunno if you have been reading this threads for a while, but you might want to read some of the posts about small edges, or prepare for MLG to rip you out, if he hasn't gotten tired of it allready

schwza
03-22-2005, 04:35 PM
1) the 32 hand is not about whether to call; it's about whether to push
2) if the SB still has chips behind, i think that calling with 96 is -EV in terms of chips right now. fold to avoid an anti-edge, not to avoid a small + edge.

tiger7210
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
1st hand i fold with out question even thought the pot is laying you good odds, I'm not looking to play 96o where you really need a miracle flop.

2nd hand I take a free flop since you really don't have enough fold equity left to make the other players fold and I don't want to be called holding 3 high. I'd rather the flop hit me and get someone to bluff into me.

3rd hand I call without looking at my cards.

M.B.E.
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are in the BB with a remaining stack of 950 - current blinds 150/300. UTG raises all-in for 550 total, middle position goes all in for 575, SB calls the extra 425. You hold 96o. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean I had 950 before posting the big blind so I now have 650 remaining? Or did I have 1250 before posting? Either way I am usually calling the extra 275 here although I think it's close. What militates in favour of calling is that you are protected by the dry side pot, so the SB will often check the flop and turn if he misses. That assumes that the SB has you covered. If the SB started the hand with 775, then this is an easy fold for you. Also if it's close to the bubble or close to the final table I'd give more consideration to folding.

[ QUOTE ]
In the BB, 150/300 level, you have 975. UTG+1 limps in, one fold, middle position player limps (generally an aggessive player preflop)- he has around 4000 remaining and is the table leader. It's folded to the SB who folds, pot is 1050. There are about 45 players left in the tournament, paying 20 spots. You hold 32s- what is your action?

[/ QUOTE ]
Check. Unlikely that both these players will fold for 675 more. If you flop a flush or a flush draw, then bet all in. If you flop a pair, then either checkfold or bet all-in depending on the texture of the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
In the BB again- now 400/800. you have 125 left after posting. Folded to late position player who raises. Do you even need to look at your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, call regardless.