PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a complete Hold Em player, How should I go about doing it

mithong
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Ive been playing limit hold em seriously for a month or so now... I started at .50/1 and now am 4 tabling 1/2 tables...

My goal is to become a complete player, becoming proficient at sngs, MTTs, mid-high limit, 6 max tables, every form of hold em out there... How would you guys suggest I go about doing this..

what games should i be playing and so forth.

jkkkk
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
start out at the lowest levels, read and practise.

onegymrat
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Study different poker theories and apply them selectively to your own game, gain experience and practice (lots of it) while not playing beyond your means, and most importantly, never forget to enjoy the game. Good luck.

mithong
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
well, what i meant is, what games should i be playing .. and in what order..

like should i play the 1/2 full ring, then the 6 max, then 2/4, then sng? or at the same time? or what

jkkkk
03-22-2005, 03:22 PM
i would focus on one at a time, build some solid theories about the game and then move on when you feel you want to explore something different

SugarV
03-22-2005, 04:43 PM
I would pull back from the multitable sessions and focus on the players at a single table. Try to play live. In my very opinionated opinion...I think playing live is the best way to become a better player. There are a lot of aspects of the game that you don't get from playing on the computer...no matter how many tables you play at the same time. (Agian...that's my very opinionated opinion...) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sv

morello
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Just get as much experience as you can. Sometimes I feel like playing NL, so I do. Sometimes I want to play HU/short limit, so I do. Other times it's SNGs or Omaha or stud8 or whatever. For me, it helps to keep things interesting.

Start to think about each game and how it's different from the others, and what you need to do to adjust. Talk to people that specialize in one particular area, etc. Shouldn't be very difficult.

2ndGoat
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
My poker development has been very circular... spending a lot of time on one area or book for one period of time has never been enough to get everythign out of it, I always learn something new when I come back to a game I used to play a lot of (or I book I've read already) when I bring new perspective from another book or hours at another structure. Sort of like a video game where at some point you head back to the 2nd level with your new ultra-spiffy rocket pack and a whole new section is opened up to you, and only after grabbing the ultra-spiffy hyper shoes from there can you make it to level 16.

So I wouldn't look at it like a linear progression... figure to be bouncing back and forth to all of them over your poker lifetime, picking up some new form of enlightenment each time around.

2nd