PDA

View Full Version : Not Calling 1 more bet in the BB or SB a leak?

darydarling
03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Let me give some history so I can explain my question.
Live $4/$8 at the Bellagio.
I am in the big blind with Jd/5d.
5 Limpers
Woman on the button who *thinks* she's a great player (history: calls UTG with 6/9 suited etc) raises.
SB Folds.
I call knowing the 5 limpers will call behind me and with the intention of bailing on the flop if I miss in anyway shape or form.
Flop: rag/rag/J
I'm not real fond of my hand knowing K/J, A/J etc could very well be out there so I just check.
It is checked all round.
J on the turn.
I bet. Folded to cut off and button who both call.
J on the river.
I bet, cut off and button both call again showing A/6, A/Q no 6 or queen on the board.
Now here's the dilemna.
I am being told I made a horrible call.
I don't always call a raise with my big blind but the texture of the game IMO made this an okay call as long as I gave up on the flop if I missed.
And by texture I was at worst the 2nd best player at this table. I had been playing it a couple of hours and had fairly good reads on everyone playing and knew that if I hit it big on the flop they would not know when to let it go and I would get paid off as I had already numerous times being that I was up almost 3 racks at this point.
Do I make this call in a $10/$20 or $15/$30 game. Not necessarily. But once again most were at best average players in this game and I felt I could out maneuver them post flop.

mostsmooth
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
based on the info provided, i dont think calling here is bad

id say if youre gonna make this preflop call based on reads, then it shouldnt matter what the limits are

id bet the flop

CMonkey
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
You're already getting 8.5:1 to call. If the other limpers come along you're getting a staggering 13.5:1 to call. Those are massive pot odds, to say nothing of the implied odds. Call.

jpg7n16
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
ahh the big blind special... you see flop 1/2 price! That will be 23.95 thank you come again.

Just like I think I should be calling every time I'm in the Small blind when 10 handed everyone limps in. Could have 7/2 offsuit but I don't care. The only time you could ever have better odds with that hand is when you are the BB yourself.

When you know that many people are going to call, your odds go up. Just like ^^^ pointed out

PokerFink
03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Easy call.

I bet the flop. Yes, a higher jack could be out there. But if you just check/call, you don't really know where you're at. If you bet, you have a better idea of where you're at, since a better jack will likely raise this flop.

Mez
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I likely call if I know the chance of a raise from the players behind you are very low.

Similarly, I will call with any 2 out of the SB in an unraised pot if the BB is weak (limit and NL). Anyone else do that?

darydarling
03-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. I felt at that point it was an easy call. The lady on the button couldn't believe I made it it put her on tilt for most of the night.
As for betting the flop, 9 times out of 10 I am usually betting here.

Sully
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
<font color="red"> </font> I am being told I made a horrible call. <font color="red"> </font>

I usually respond by saying that normally it would be a bad call, but in this case I knew I was up against weak opponents, so no big deal.

pzhon
03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're already getting 8.5:1 to call. If the other limpers come along you're getting a staggering 13.5:1 to call. Those are massive pot odds, to say nothing of the implied odds. Call.

[/ QUOTE ]
13.5:1 sounds great except you have to beat many more people. Against decent players, I think this would be a fold by about 0.2 SB. Against people who will overcall on the river with ace-high, call.

I think the implied odds tend to work against J5s. You will often face a bet or raise when you feel you are behind, but have the odds to call, e.g., with TPNK, or bottom pair +backdoor flush draw, or you bet your rivered jack-high flush and the PFR raises you. That means you have negative implied odds.

ACW
03-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Isn't this the perfect situation to check raise the flop and give up if someone cold calls two bets? If someone other than the button bets out, you can fold (probably beaten already and little chance to improve), but if it gets checked round many players will autobet from the button to follow through on the preflop raise.

You seem to have a good chance to isolate two overcards with lots of dead money in the pot.