PDA

View Full Version : getting "Lucky" or good style; whats your longest hot streak

Tim H
03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
background:
broken many times playing limit, do well no-limit and MTT's

Anyhow after winning a MTT I decide to retry limit to build my bankroll.
Maybe everything has slowed down for me or MTT have ingrained the starting hand requirements into me but:

I have been running hot for a week now basically playing:
Any PP and AK,AQ,AJ and only playing SC/AXs from the button
(i have pretty much dumped even SC's and only play for a mix up on my game once every 3-4 times i get them)

If I am entering a pot I am raising and betting.
I call down if I think I am beat.
I only folds where it's obvious (flushes, trips etc).

Anyhow, are cards just running hot (cant say that since my AA has been busted the last 6 times)

I keep waiting for the shoe to drop, is there anything I am missing with this type of style. I am up huge: 100BB this week alone. Is this normal for good play?
How long was your longest hot streak?

TheHip41
03-22-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
100bb this week alone. Is this normal for good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I won 114BB while clearing my bonus at Party 1/2 in the last day. Nothing special, just spanking the retards there.

I don't know what my biggest upswing was, but 100 seems awfully low. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tim H
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
really? damn i thought i was doing good at 1k this week

TheHip41
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
I guess 1K is good for any given week. I'm just thinking that a 100BB upswing isn't "that" significant.

Playing 5-10, it looks nice, but I'm sure someone here has had a much larger rush.

Tim H
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
I know this is a small sample size (about 10k hands) but my worst day was -10BB. The other thing I noticed playing this way is that my variance is more along the lines of my NL variance (much lower)

I have found that since I only play those hands and am raising/betting/reraising I am able to pick off alot of smaller pots since after a given time at table people know what I am playing.

These smaller pots I pick up allow me to take the worse of it in a draw/call down scenario and not get damaged too much.

So basically, me question should of been along the lines of: Is it really a "mistake" ignoring pot odds when deciding to call a raise/reraise with a flush draw and an unpaired overcard when I am using other people's money to finance this dog play.

If you read Super System I or II you know this is what Doyle talks about in his cash NL gameplan.

krishanleong
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just spanking the retards there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a bad day teaching and this made me laugh. It's worth a post.

Krishan

GreywolfNYC
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About half an hour. At the Mirage, I think.

Knoler
03-22-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These smaller pots I pick up allow me to take the worse of it in a draw/call down scenario and not get damaged too much.

So basically, me question should of been along the lines of: Is it really a "mistake" ignoring pot odds when deciding to call a raise/reraise with a flush draw and an unpaired overcard when I am using other people's money to finance this dog play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter who's money it is. If the bet is -EV it's -EV. So, yeah, being ignorant of pot odds, esp. in a limit game, is no good.

Doyle suggests that, if you're playing NL, you flop a solid flush draw and you think someone is ahead when they play back at you, that you move in. The idea is that while the drawing odds are not quite in your favor, you have some fold equity as well, making this a strong semi bluff.

In limit, though, you're not going to be able to push someone off TPTK by reraising as a semi-bluff with your flush draw. If you have lots of callers and a strong draw, then reraising might be the best play, but being ignorant of the pot odds or the number of opponents can never be a good thing.

Regards,
-Brian