PDA

View Full Version : How to approach this flop?

skammer
03-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Hero is small blind with 8c 8s.
Folded to Hero who raises. Big blind reraises. Hero calls.
Flop is Qc Tc 3c
Thanks in advance.

theRealMacoy
03-22-2005, 02:20 PM
skammer,

I am not a resident Pooh-bah or anything but let me give you a little advice (those are the guys with the jedi mind tricks).

In order for others to best answer your questions try and provide as much additional information as possible about the hand. The limit and site you were playing at along with the number of players are standard and I would say required. Also any reads you have on inidividual players or how the table as a whole is playing are very useful and should be included whenever possible.

Now, let me take a stab at your question...

I would lead out with a bet, hoping to pick up the pot right there. If you get re-raise I would fold as you hold less than middle pair and only a draw to the 8 flush.

cheers and welcome to the boards,
the Real Macoy

ps. there is a niftly little hand converter (by bisionbison), which i beleive is detailed in the micro-limit forum FAQ (lots of excellent info) or do a general search for bison's hand converter

J.R.
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
no read on the BB?? I would often check-raise this flop and lead the turn, expecting my flush to be good if i hit it and liking my chances unimproved (although against a very passive or very aggro player these estimates/lines will vary). cap preflop

Jeff W
03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Here is my ABC answer:

I cap pre flop. 88 is a monster heads-up and I usually want to see a showdown.

On this board, you are seeing a showdown no matter what. You have the best made hand or the best draw and probably both. I check-raise the flop and plan to lead the turn. More than that I won't say, because it depends on BB's response.

P.S. Reads, limit, #opponents would be nice.

theRealMacoy
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no read on the BB?? I would often check-raise this flop and lead the turn, expecting my flush to be good if i hit it and liking my chances unimproved (although against a very passive or very aggro player these estimates/lines will vary). cap preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks guys for the more-schooled input....hold-on i am taking notes. especially the cap pre-flop, as i have been calling here and my inherent localized flush fear, which i am overcoming

....clearly more bravado is in order!

cheers
the Real Macoy

maxpowers21
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I draw to the 8c flush draw here 100% heads up in this situation.
Good arguments can be made for betting this flop or check raising the flop. I'd prefer to check-raise here, because i know where i stand if i get three-bet. I can also check call to the river to spike a club.

If i bet out the flop i have a small chance to win it right there, but i sitll don't know where i stand if i get raised on the flop, which makes the turn action more difficult. This is why i prefer a flop check-raise

Also, cap pf. A lot of opponets will raise with a wide variety of garbage here, I raise for value. This will also define your hand better when you lead the flop and get raised, then you an get awy from your 8's a lot easier if still met with aggression, and then go into check-call mode to spike your 4-flush for this particular flop.

skammer
03-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll try to be more specific in future posts. I like the advice about the pre-flop cap. I took the check call approach to the river and won with a flush on the river vs. KQ (no club) Thanks again.