PDA

View Full Version : Early Pos Play

IRV
03-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I made my first money win (finished about 115 out of about 2000) last night on Party 20+2nl event. So far this is my 4th MTT so I'm still fresh meat. The majority of my time is spent on the 50/100nl 6 ring games.

The situation: Blinds are about 400/800 - 500/1000 I have roughly an average stack of about T8000.

Question: Twice UTG I folded descent hands AJ 99 and 77. In middle or late I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. It was around the bubble with some stacks going all-in and about 1/3 preflop raising. I feel like I played weak-tight towards the end of the tourney. I felt if I opened up for a 3xbb raise I would probably have to risk my whole stack. Any comments, flames, suggestion would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks!

zaxx19
03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
99 is probably an auto push there as you WANT to get called by AK AQ AJ A10....88 77...

There comes a point in MTT play were PP above say 66 are pretty much unfoldable if you are a shorter stack..(1-12 BB)
biven that you are opening betting. Of course position and alot of other factors play a part in decision making but 99 is a hand that needs to be played even UTG...Id push and see if anyone wanted to gamble.

mshalen
03-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Zaxx is right. You can't play weak-tight with only 10BB. Your allins will be called by an amazing range of hands (generally KQ or A6 types of hands). This is your opportunity to move way up the food chain, take it. I am currently attempting to take my own advise and move away from being a weak tight player. Look for recent posting by MLG, emarke and others and read as many posts here as you can.