PDA

View Full Version : Turn Play

bigslick98
03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Foxwoods $4/8...Typical loose table. Just a little back ground on the players. The UTG player will call a lot but only raise in this position with big hands (AA, KK, QQ AK). He has raised three times in this position and showed QQ, KK and AK. The LP caller is very loose, loves to bluff and could have anything.

UTG Raises and it is folded to me in MP.. I look down at QQ and three bet and the late position player cold calls three bets (Which means nothing). The three of us see a flop of K63 all clubs. UTG checks, I bet and they both call. The turn is an off suit 8. UTG checks, I check andf LP checks. Is this a bad check given my reads of the players involved? The turn is the 3 of hearts...UTG decides to bet..I think about calling but see the LP ready to call. I muck, LP calls and UTG flips over TT and LP shows JJ and takes the pot. Please count my mistakes.

I am posting this because my turn play is by far the weakest part of my game. I plan on posting more hands like this, so fire away.

crunchy1
03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Seems like you were confused as to what UTG was holding and because you noticed LP was going to call you decided to muck because you'd see UTG's hand anyways.

Just because you saw LP ready to call doesn't mean you shouldn't call first because, as you stated, 'LP is loose and could have anything'.

As for UTG - you could be beat - or he could be betting a hand like A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I really think that checking the turn opened up the floodgates on the range of hands UTG could lead the river with (including those lower pocket pairs that you beat).

If you're going to check the turn I think you really need to be prepared to call down.

Almost regardless of the board and/or the players involved I think the key here is that: A large percentage of the time when you check the turn after previously showing lots of aggression you are begging to be bluffed into on the river.

I think when you've shown agression PF with a big pocket pair like QQ you have to fire the second barrel on the turn if no one has shown aggression on the flop. If there's no aggression on the turn as well - then you can decide whether to value-bet or check-through on the river.

chief444
03-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I think you need to bet this turn.

Jeffage
03-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Easy turn bet. A better hand would probably play back on the flop, but definitely on the turn. If you get raised on the turn you can think usually give it up.

Jeff