PDA

View Full Version : Too Aggressive or too Timid

10-09-2002, 01:29 PM
I wantto know from an impartial party (forum) if you guys think I am too aggressive of a player or too timid. I know you can't judge 100% on the hands I'm going to give you but it will be accurate enough. I will give you a little background but not enough to where you will know who I am.
I have won 3 major tournaments over the last 2 years and finished in the top 7 5 other times out of 30 tournaments or thereabout. I play 15-30, 30-60, and have started playing PL in the last year. Here are a couple of hands that I think I could have been more aggressive on but my friend who is a very good player as well thinks I was aggressive enough.
Hand #1 Playing 5-10PLO Hi only I have $500 in front of me which is what I bought in for. There is about $10,000 on the table and $5,000 is sitting to my imediate right.(Good player when he's buzzing but terrible when he's drunk. Don't know when he's sober because it never happens.
I have 7h7dA8s. The game is very very loose with minimum
of 5 players seeing every flop for 10 to 50. I call 10 and net player calls. Hyper aggressive makes it $35 and 6 players call including big stack. I toss a quarter as does the next guy and 8 handed it comes 7s2s9h. I flopped middle set and nut flush draw. I checked with the intention of going all-in which is what happened. Hyper aggressive bet 300 and another maniac moved all-in. I figured it didn't matter what I was up against but It was a set of 9's. The black mariah hit the river and I scooped a nice pot. This hand played itself but coments welcome.
Hand #2 I have $2100 in front of me and in the blind with 9-9-7-J with hearts. Hyper raises UTG +1 to $25 and is called in 6 spots. I call 15 more. Would you call?
Flop is 9-6-4 with 2 diamonds. There is $175 in the pot and SB checks. Do you lead at the pot or go for check-raise or check-call and see the turn. This is a hand where I think it is correct to play it different ways. I decided to check and see what happened. Hyper pre-flop raiser checked to maniac who bet $200 and everyone folded to me. I glanced at the maniac who had already cutoff 8 green chips and was going to call. I decided I didn't want to lose him. There's no way Hyper has AA or A-high flush or dry ace because he would have led on the flop 99% of the time so I smooth called the $200 as did he. Now there's $600 in the pot and the is the 6h making a board of 9-6-4-6.
I have top full and check it. Hyper checks and Maniac bets$200 again. Now, there's probably a 50-60% chance that hyper has an overpair and 2 outs. Should I raise and give him a clear fold which he undoubedly would or get another $200 from him? I called only and so did hyper. The river brought a jack and I made a modest bet of $200 myself hoping maybe one of them had J-6 or 4-4. Hyper raised me to $600 and maniac folded. My instinct told me to push it in(another 1000) but I didn't. In fact, I almost folded. It was very hard for me to put him on J-J because I had 1 in my hand and I know he didn't have 6-6. I decided that the pot was too big to lay my hand down and called the $400 and lost to J-J. Comments please. Hand #3 and #4 are the ones I would really appreciate feedback on.
Hand #3 is 6 handed and I'm the big blind. I have AdQdKs2s and call a $15 raise and take a 5 handed flop of A-A-7. The big stack (SB)checks and I bet $75 into the $125 pot. Everyone folded to big stack who raised me $300 more. He is very aggressive and capable of having 2-3-4-5 as well as having the goods. I decipher that he would not raise right here with A-7 and that he might fold 7-7 or an Ace if I raise so I re-raised $300 more. He took about a minute and called.(He loves to act so this means nothing) The turn was a 5 and he checked rather quickly. My first instinct was to shove it in but I checked and we also checked the rivre which was a 10. He had A-K and we chopped the pot. How badly and timid did I play this? Does anyone think I played it right? I'm still sick to my stomach about this pot which was mine. It's tru that he might have called if I shoved(800) but maybe not.
Hand #4 I have K5hQJs. The It is $35 pre-flop 7 ways. The flop is J-5-4 with 2 spades and I'm on the button. Hyper bets $200 and there are 3 callers before it gets to me(1000 in pot) and Ihae $1400 in front of me. Would you call, fold, or raise? I called the $200 and folded on the turn when the 8h hit making a str8 and I'm not sure if I should have put it all-in on the flop. Thoughts please.